AVS-10/4 SAS/SATA Support?

Hello,

I apologize for posting this in the forum but I haven't received an email response on a specific feature and was wondering if anyone had this unit and could comment on the following questions:

1-Noise level. It says quiet, is it relatively silent?

2-It says it supports "10 trayless 3.5" SAS/SATA drive bays". What doesn't this mean? Can I plug in SAS AND SATA in the different bays at the same time? Can I plug in a SAS drive with this connector (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_attached_SCSI) into the unit without a problem?

Thank you very much.

Hello,

I apologize for posting this in the forum but I haven't received an email response on a specific feature and was wondering if anyone had this unit and could comment on the following questions:

Still working on a detailed spec sheet.  Here's some info I can give right now:

1-Noise level. It says quiet, is it relatively silent?

For the Atom-based server, sound meter approx .5 m away, initial noise level is around 70dB - this is with all fans blazing, which is what happens upon initial power up.  After about 30 sec, fans are slowed down and noise drops to around 50dB (it's right at the lower limit of the lowest range of my dB meter).  It's quieter than a typical tower form-factor server, but it's not silent.

2-It says it supports "10 trayless 3.5" SAS/SATA drive bays". What doesn't this mean? Can I plug in SAS AND SATA in the different bays at the same time? Can I plug in a SAS drive with this connector (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_attached_SCSI) into the unit without a problem?

Here is how the bays are configured.  First let's number the bays:

slot 1 - 5 = left set of 3.5" bays

slot 6 - 10 = right set of 3.5" bays

slot 11 - 14 = the four 2.5" bays (top down)

For atom product:

- slots 1-5, and slot 10 are connected to motherboard SATA2 ports (for SATA drives only)

- slots 6-9 are connected to AOC-SASLP-MV8 controller ports 1-4 (SAS/SATA drives)

- slots 11-14 are connected to AOC-SASLP-MV8 ports 5-8 (SATA drives only, see below)

For core i3/xeon product:

- slot 1 and 10 are connected to motherboard SATA3 ports (for SATA drives only)

- slots 2-5 are connected to motherboard SATA2 ports (for SATA drives only)

- slots 6-9 are connected to AOC-SASLP-MV8 controller ports 1-4 (SAS/SATA drives)

- slots 11-14 are connected to AOC-SASLP-MV8 ports 5-8 (SATA drives only, see below)

The four 2.5" bays, though connected to the AOC-SASLP-MV8, only support SATA interface, not SAS (this is my understanding but we have never plugged in a 2.5" SAS drive to see if it works).