To spin down or not to spin down?

Ned

Still, If I could RMA a few of my 1TB drives for larger fresher drives.. I might consider it.

:) :)

At today's prices???    Hardly seems worth the hassle (not to mention the ethics of doing that).

It beats putting them in the garbage heaps.

I had actually spent part of the day looking for places to recycle the drives.

Found some article explaining how to take the magnets out and use them for screwdriver hangers.

Too bad there wasn't some old trade in discount coupon they could provide.  The metal and magnets have to be worth something.

Too bad there wasn't some old trade in discount coupon they could provide.  The metal and magnets have to be worth something.

Yes!  I'd go for this.  Although I like being able to use all my old drives with Unraid, including 160GB and 250GB IDE drives, it's getting to the point where reason says it's hardly worth it for the hassle in added drive count.  But then what else do I do with them (other than art projects or screwdriver holders)?

I'd guess a trade-in program could have other benefits to the manufacturer besides the raw materials - like enchancing customer loyalty.  The profit from increased future sales may even outweight the value of the materials being recycled.  Heck, even if it *cost* them money to accept old drives in exchange for a manufacturer mail-in rebate (or similar) on purchase of a new drive the new sales and boost to brand image and good-will may still make the program worth it.

Archived