Quick question on failed upgrade disk

Hi guys,

Quick question:

Today I replaced a 250GB drive with a 1TB that has failed with many errors within a few minutes of rebuilding.

Am I safe to remove the 1TB, reinsert the 250GB, do initconfig and go back to how it was a few hours ago? I'm assuming this is the best course of action but thought I'd double check first.

Thanks. syslog attached. Pro version: 5.0-rc16c

-----------------

More info:

The 1TB has had 212 reallocated sectors for a few years but the number hasn't risen. Strangely while preclearing it said 212 before and 211 after. -1?

Tried unassigning it, starting array, stopping, reasigning it but after a few minutes rebuilding it had 288 errors again and red ball. I don't mind chucking it away, it has had a good innings over the years but time to retire!

syslog-2013-08-24.zip

No, you can't do that.    Now that the system has a 1TB drive in that slot, you'll need to replace it with at least a 1TB drive.

Alternatively, you could replace the drive with your old 250GB drive and do a new configuration -- but this will lose all parity protection until you do an initial parity sync, so unless you're SURE the data is good, I wouldn't do that.

Alternatively, you could replace the drive with your old 250GB drive and do a new configuration -- but this will lose all parity protection until you do an initial parity sync, so unless you're SURE the data is good, I wouldn't do that.

Hi Gary, that's what initconfig does. The parity is rebuilding now. The data on the 250GB will be exactly the same as when I unassigned it from the array. Basically once the parity has rebuilt and then been checked I'll be in exactly the same config as before I replaced the 250GB with the faulty 1TB.

Incidentally this is pretty much the same way as permanently removing a drive from the array that you won't be replacing which I've done a few times to move drives to a second server.

I've created instructions to do that as follows based on the info in the link:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ_remove_drive

How to permanantly remove a disk from the array and rebuild parity:

Copy everything off the disk that is to be removed.

Take a screenshot of the server drive configuration.

Backup flash.

Stop the array and un-assign the drive on the Devices page.

This will create a new system.dat file and reset the array configuration data.

unRAID will ask you to confirm you wish to set a new disk configuration. You must respond with Yes (capital Y and lower case es).

When the initconfig command is invoked, old parity data will be immediately discarded. At this point, your array will not be protected from a disk failure until the system can complete the process

of generating new parity information.

Click 'Main' in the GUI and re-assign the disks as per the screenshot minus the removed one.

Start the array and let the parity re-built itself.

The only difference being changing a blank 1TB with my full 250GB drive instead of leaving a slot unassigned where the drive I removed was.

Hope this info can be useful to others :)

The 1TB failed both times just a few minutes into the rebuild which will have messed up the parity.

Actually that's not correct.    If you had good parity in the array, and started a rebuild, the parity will remain good even if you have to abort the rebuild and do it on a different disk.    You didn't lose parity until you did the "initconfig" -- THAT does indeed reset the configuration and invalidates the existing parity.