Seagate new Warranty policy

GK20

Out of curiosity, after 3 years, how many people actually bother RMA-ing their failed hard drives? I've got a couple of 1~2 year old failed drives that are still under warranty. I didn't RMA them since my SATA slots and free 3.5" drive bays are at a premium and drives with much higher capacity are ridiculously inexpensive nowadays. Just  around 2 years ago, it cost me $150 for a 300GB IDE drive. Nowadays, you can get 1.5TB drives for less than that.

Quite frankly, I have no idea how much money they'll be saving by dropping the warranty coverage but I have to say that such a move sure doesn't instill much consumer confidence in their consumer grade OEM drives.

Huh?... the consumer grade Retail drives are the ones keeping the 5 year warranty... it's the bulk packed "OEM" drives most often sold at a steep discount that get the shorter warranty...

BTW, I ALWAYS rma even those older drives... I look at it as my money.... and you can always find some archival usage for them...

Also discussed here.

It likely costs Seagate about the same to make a lower capacity drive as a higher capacity one (after the kinks are worked out anyway), so the cost of replacing a 4 year old 160G drive is likely high relative to its value.  I'd prefer to see the prices of OEM drives go down even further, than have the extra 2 years of warranty.