Loading Drivers

Two Wire

Hello, I have been trolling Unraid since its inception (AVS Forum), and decided to take the plunge. I built my system, downloaded the basic package, and made my USB boot device. Then I saw the CD Rom containing the Asus motherboard drivers, and realized I do not know how to install these without a Windows enviroment. I got the tower to boot, I think, (I don't know any commands to test this), but it is not connected to the lan ( I guess I need to load drivers?), so all I saw was what resembeled Dos-like comments scrolling by. It asked for a tower login and I typed "root". That is as far as I got. I want to connect it to the network and see if telnet works, but first, I have to get this driver question answered. I feel embarresed asking such a trivial question, but hey, if I don't ask, I'm stuck   

Another question: I guess I need to connect a floppy drive to update the Bios since there is no Wiindows environment, will the Dos commands work?

Thanks  ;D

Sounds like it's up and running correctly to me.  You need to check to see if there are Linux drivers on the CD (obviously there'll be Windows drivers), otherwise there is no point.  Tom should be able to advise whether or not there is any need for the drivers at all, seeing as it's working.  If you connect the box to your LAN, you should be able to ping it (or ping something else on your LAN from the box), assuming you set the IP correctly (or left it on DHCP and you have a DHCP server).

If you want to upgrade the BIOS, you'll need to plug in a floppy drive as per the usual procedure.

HTH :)

Matt.

If DHCP did not give it an address then it may not have detected the NIC card.  I am not sure that you can LOAD drivers that Tom has not already included in the build.  If you can it will not be easy.  That is one of the reasons for the restrictive hardware requirements.

Part of running Unraid at this early stage, especially on unapproved hardware, is that some knowledge of linux is required.  The command prompt you are at can tell you everything you need to know but you have to know how to use it.  I can throw commands at you all day and you can go back and forth trying to decipher what it all means but I would suggest only running on approved hardware if you are not comfortable troubleshooting it yourself.

I use linux at home and work quite a bit and have for years but when It came down to time to build my system I used approved hardware all the way because I didn't want headaches trying to find hardware that would work. And if I do have a problem, it makes Tom's job easier as far as troubleshooting goes.

My suggestion to you would be to post the model number of the Asus board you are using along with whatever hardware you have installed.  I would also search the board for that model to see if anything comes up.

Now for the technical bit.  Type "ifconfig" and see if it tells you the IP address of the unraid server.  If it doesn't then you have some problems to overcome.  If it does then you can plug that IP into your browser and start working through the Unraid Docs.  If you can browse to the unraid server then you can also telnet.  That will come in handy with troubleshooting because that will allow you to copy and paste info from the Unraid command line to windows.

Good Luck.

Thanks, guys. I guess I was at the command prompt because I typed ifconfig and could read the NIC info. I'm using the Asus P5PE VM and need to load the drivers for the Promise Ultra 133 TX 2 IDE controller card ( I have a bunch of old ATA IDE drives lying around). There is 3.5 inch floppy disk containing the drivers which I need to access. I know the DOS commands to do this, but have no idea what I should type at the command prompt. Can I get some help here? It would save me a lot of time researching this.

I realize Windows contained generic drivers for numerous devices, and to get optimum performance, or in many case to get the device to work at all, you had to install the manufacture’s drivers. If nobody is doing it, then I guess I'm good to go.

Thanks

Hi Two Wire,

You do not need to load any linux drivers from the motherboard CD.  To configure the system you will need to connect it to your LAN.

The default behavior is to use DHCP to obtain an IP address from your router.  If you don't have a DHCP server then you can edit the file 'network.cfg' in the 'config' folder on the Flash and set a static IP address for the server.

Once you can bring up the Management Utility in your browser, then go to the 'Devices' page and assign your hard drives.  This tells the unRAID software which of your hard drives is parity, disk1, disk2, etc.

The best way to do this is to jot down the serial numbers of all your hard drives, along with which ones you want to be parity, disk1, disk2, etc.  Then when you go to the 'Devices' page it will be easy to assign your drives.

Thanks Tom! All's well, but I have spent about three hours trying to figure out how to get the server to appear in windows explorer. It dected my router and was assigned an IP address, but it doesn't show up in My Network Places. I changed the Workgroup name to that of my current network, but that did not work. What I think I need to do is to add the server to my network, but how to do this is the question. I can add new computers to an existing network, but I do that from the computer I wish to add. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks