Ultra Slow Read Performance

This is my second unraid build.  My previous build was using the free version of unraid with a P4 and 2GB RAM with some old hard drives.

This time I'm using a Q6600 w/ 4GB RAM w/ Unraid 5.0rc16 Plus.    I have a Boxee Box I stream to and it worked great on my old box but this time it's totally struggling to do push the video (unwatchable).

I do have a parity and a cache drive which I thought would help things, not hinder them.

I've enabled jumbo frames, I'm connected va gigabit ethernet.  Any ideas?

syslog.txt

Parity should not have an impact on read speeds UNLESS you're reading from a failed disk (a "red balled" disk that shows as Disabled on the Web GUI) => in that case, the system has to read all of the OTHER disks (everything except the bad disk) and recreate the data for the failed disk.

But as long as the disks are okay, parity has NO impact on read speeds.

Clearly a parity disk has a major impact on writes -- as you now have to do 4 disk operations for every write (2 reads, 2 writes).    A cache disk eliminates that impact for all cached shares, as the writes are actually done to the cache disk, and the data is transferred to the parity-protected array later.