How Picky are Motherboards with Memory Really?

I was just wondering what people's experience has been with memory compatibility. The motherboard I plan on buying memory for is the Supermicro X7DWN+. Of course the compatibility list is here. But in this day and age is it common to have compatibility issues? I'm looking at server EEC memory at the correct speed of DDR2 667 PC2-5300 (CPU FSB is 1333). Should I expect any issues in buying modules made by any major manufacture?

This is what the manual states:

memory.jpg

"Same speed and type" Speed is obvious but type? Are they saying all modules need to be identical binned? Or just same manufacture? I did drop in some modules of a different size and manufacture (4x2GB is "stock" added 4x512MB) and it booted fine....

Can I mix manufacture and size?

Last question the chart seems to suggest I should go 2,4,8,12,16 when added modules. I have 4 modules now, does that mean I have to go straight 8 modules, skipping 6, and straight to 12, skipping 10?

You can mix manufacturer and size as long as they're the correct module types (FBDIMMs).

You can also install 6, 10, or 14 modules, but note that if you install anything that's not a multiple of 4 the memory won't be the same in both branches (only significant if you have two CPU's installed)

My current memory is Corsair 2GB 2RX8 PC2-5300F-555-11-E0-D0 CM72FB2048-667/SD. The other memory I tried was Samsung PC2-5300F. I noticed that there are listing for 5300F and 5300P. From what I found the "F" is for fully buffered. And it looks like "P" stands for partially buffered. So think I should stay away from "P's". Reference:http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/post/2035826

From the manual "The X7DWN+ supports up to 128 GB fully buffered (FBD) ECC DDR 2 800/667/533 in 16 DIMMs."

Sorting from cheapest, the manufactures are:

Nanya

Micron

HP (which I'm sure is made by someone else as HP doesn't make memory AFAIK)

Samsung

Hynix

Qimonda

Most listings look the have "2RX8 PC2-5300F-555-11" or "2RX4 PC2-5300F-555-11" on the RAM so that sounds like those modules would be a good match.

I shouldn't have a problem with any of them as long as I get fully buffered, correct?

• 2 weeks later...

Well for some reason my board won't POST with 16GB of RAM....If I put all 8 of my 2GB sticks in (1AB,2AB,3AB,4ABC ) I get a long beep which according the manual is "no memory detected" If I remove any two sticks it will POST fine. If I put those two sticks anywhere it won't post. But if I installed 4 2GB sticks and 6 512MB sticks (1AB,2AB,3ABC,4ABC ) it will POST just fine. The 512MB sticks and 2GB sticks are both Samsung/IBM with the same specs, and they both have same specs as the original 2GB Corsair sticks. So I can run with the 4 original 2GB Corsair sticks and any 2 (of the 4) 2GB Samsung sticks and it will POST. As soon as I add two more 2GB sticks it won't POST. So I can run 12GB (6x2GB ) or 11GB (4x2GB  + 6x512MB ) but not 16GB (8x2GB ). Its as if I have a 12GB limit.  ???

What gives? (The board supports 128GB

)

I suspect that in addition to the Branch and bank restrictions outlined in the manual, there are also rank requirements based on the specific pairs you have installed.

Do you know whether the modules you have are single rank or dual rank?  [There are also quad rank modules, but I don't believe any have densities below 4GB]

I downloaded your board's manual, and do not see any specific rank restrictions noted.

Two more questions:

(a)  Do you currently have one or two CPUs?  You indicated you were going to add a 2nd one when you purchased the memory -- just curious if it's now installed.

(b)  Does it work with 6 2GB and 6 512KB modules?

Here are the modules I bought: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/151205035905?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

(there's a good picture there)

They only difference I see between the original corsair and the new Samsung is the Corsair has 2Rx8 and the Samsung has 2Rx4 on them. I honestly couldn't find many 2Rx8 for sale. The only other thing I was suspecting now was the voltages. The Samsung (both the 2GB and 512MB ) are 1.8v I don't know/can't find the voltage of the Corsair.

There are a few memory options in the bios:

Memory Branch Mode

Branch 0 Rank Sparing/Branch 1 Rank Sparing

Branch 0 Rank Interleaving/Branch 1 Rank Interleaving

I have left them all default.

Answers:

a ) I now have two CPU's installed. I installed the second CPU boot up, then tried the additional/new memory

b ) I think the answer is No. I'll have to retry that combination again tomorrow and report back. I feel like I tried it but I'll have to double check.

I also found a couple references of people running a lot more "wild" of a configuration:

RAM 1 - 4X 2GB Kingston DDR2 FB-DIMM PC5300

RAM 2 - 4X 4GB Samsumg DDR2 FB-DIMM PC5300

RAM 3 - 4X 4GB Aimonda DDR2 FB-DIMM PC5300

RAM 4 - 4X 4GB Nanya Tech DDR2 FB-DIMM PC5300

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1033752228&postcount=28

http://serverfault.com/questions/474843/x7dwn-14gb-memory-fitted-10gb-detected-by-bios

r.e. the voltage => look at the jumper on the motherboard and see if it's set for Auto, 1.8v, or 1.5v

You do NOT want to mix modules with different voltage requirements ... but that doesn't explain the issue you're having with the 2GB modules [unless the voltage is set to 1.5v ... in which case it's possible they work at the lower voltage until you install enough modules that the loading drops the voltage too far for them.  If that's the issue, changing the jumper to 1.8v should resolve it]

I see that there is a Auto/1.5/1.8 volt jumper and also the same settings in bios. I'll check what the jumper is set to on the motherboard.  My only concern is I don't know the voltage of the corsair dimms.  I Googled the part number and couldn't find much. 

EDIT:

Turns out it was a bad stick dunno how I got confused as I thought I tried each individually. Got another stick, all up and running. Thanks for your help