Registar question...

opentoe

I don't like elephant killers so I'm trying to get away from Godaddy entirely. I don't host anything there, but just have several domains registered there. I was told to check out Gandi.net. I checked them out and noticed they are in France. Does anyone know if my DNS would be slower if I used Gandi as my registar? I'm in the US and would think if someone types out my domain it has to contact France first, then go back to the US. I think that's how it all would work. I don't want to transfer any domains to a place that would slow anything down. Anyone have any experience with that?

First, who your registrar is, and who hosts your authoritative DNS service are two different things. Yes, you can put the two together, but they do not have to be.

DNS uses caching and TTL (time to live). In order to get an authoritative response, the DNS request will recurse back to the authoritative server. Most requests will be satisfied by a cached response, provided by the requester's local ISP. So, occasionally, requests would go back to the authoritative source, but that is controlled by the TTL setting.

This should not be a concern.