New Drive not appearing in console

I am replacing a 1.5TB drive with a 4TB drive in my unraid configuration.  I powered down the array, and shutdown the computer.  Then I swapped out the 1.5 for the 4, booted back up and it reported the 1.5 missing in the management console.  I hit the drop down and the new drive was listed, so I selected it.  The page refreshed and now it is showing "no device".  When I SSH into the box and I run

ls  -l  /dev/disk/by-id/[au]*  |  grep  -v  part1 

I can see the new drive in the list. It shows up as

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Jan 24 18:26 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST4000DM000_Z300QF2A -> ../../sde

What am I doing wrong? Or what do I need to do to get this drive into the array and have it start rebuilding itself?  What other info can I give to track the issue down? Also, am I ok to start the raid without the drive for now?

Do you have a parity disk?

Yes, I have a 4TB parity drive.  It was the largest drive, but now it is the same size as the largest drive.

unRAID version? You have to be on 5 to support >2.2TB

I am on version 5 according to the console. I am already above 2.2TB, just needed some more room :)

Hardware? Syslog?

MSI A75A-G35 FM1

AMD A4-3400 Llano 2.7GHz Socket FM1

G.SKILL Value 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C11D-8GNT

Syslog is at http://pastebin.com/b6k1PRvm (too big to attach)

Ah my bad, I tried to RAR not zip the file.  So I renamed all my .PLG files and rebooted, checked to make sure the addins weren't still listed.  I tried to add the drive to the array again, but same problem.  According to one person in that thread they had to upgrade their unRAID install.  I found the page that describes how to do this, but the problem is that my console only lists 5.0 as the version.  So I am not sure which set of instructions I should follow to upgrade my unRAID install.  There are different instructions for each version of 5.0, but I don't know which one I have. Do you have any idea how I can check that?

I am just really worried about losing data in my array.  I want to make sure I don't lose anything.

BTW, the instructions I found for the upgrade are here:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Server_Version_5.0-beta_Release_Notes

Thanks a ton!

I think if it was a beta or rc it would say, so it must be just 5.0 (final). Not sure if that link I posted is really on the right track or not but removing addons is always good for troubleshooting. You might also try booting in safe mode (from the unRAID boot menu). That will make sure nothing else is loading.

What about your power supply?

Wrong notes...those are for the release candidates, not the final releases.

Look here instead:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31472.0

Download the 5.0.5 version, unzip it. Inside the unzipped folder you'll find a readme.txt that has ALL The release notes and instructions to upgrade from all versions since 4.7.

Post again if you get stuck.

A lot of errors associated with sde which must be the missing disk 2. Check SATA and power connectors.

Also, disk 1 is hda even though it is a SATA model. Configure for AHCI in BIOS.

Yep SDE is the drive I am replacing. When I log into the box, I can see the drive listed and the BIOS shows it as well.  So I assume that the problem I am having is with unRAID and not hardware.  Is that correct?  Is there a command I can run when I am logged into the box via SSH to help troubleshoot?

Quick question. If I am swapping into a bigger case (more room for hard drives) is it important at all to remember which drive was plugged into a specific SATA port? Or will unRAID be able to find the drives correctly regardless? 

A lot of errors associated with sde which must be the missing disk 2. Check SATA and power connectors.

Also, disk 1 is hda even though it is a SATA model. Configure for AHCI in BIOS.

Yep SDE is the drive I am replacing. When I log into the box, I can see the drive listed and the BIOS shows it as well.  So I assume that the problem I am having is with unRAID and not hardware.  Is that correct?  Is there a command I can run when I am logged into the box via SSH to help troubleshoot?

No - it just means that the drive is recognised at initial boot-up.  That does not mean that the drive cannot be experiencing hardware issues when you try and use it.  The commonest issues that are not due to the drive being bad are bad/loose cabling or inadequate power supply.

[quote[Quick question. If I am swapping into a bigger case (more room for hard drives) is it important at all to remember which drive was plugged into a specific SATA port? Or will unRAID be able to find the drives correctly regardless?

As long as you are on unRAID 5 (or later) then the ports do not matter.  The drives are recognised by there serial numbers.  The Port number ARE relevant f on unRAID 4.7 or earlier.

Ok, to rule out power supply issues I installed a new PSU (the one in there was older, and I wanted to be sure).  So I bought this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341051

After installing it, still having the same issue. I have even tried booting into safe mode, same issue.  I have attached the most current syslog.

Edit: Please ignore me, I pulled a stupid.  I pulled the 4TB out of my unraid server and plugged it into my computer.  It froze booting into windows and wouldn't even spin up.  I can hear it trying, but it never seems to succeed.  I am RMAing the drive now.

syslog.zip