No LAN connection

I had a drive fail recently, so I powered down the server a few days ago, and replaced the drive this evening. On first power up after replaceing the drives, everything worked as expected. I accessed the server via telnet to start a preclear of the new drive. but before I did I searched for all drives to make sure I hadn't messed anything up. Turns out that I forgot to plug in the molex power to two drives. so I initiated a powerdown on the server to reconnect things. Now, when I power the server up, there is no LAN connection. I run the server headless, so I can't access it directly. In fact, I don't even have a monitor in the house.

Here is a link to the syslog in a dropbox account.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mwpaypafsqkkbsy/syslog-20140130-172508.txt

Maybe the powerdown corrupted my flash drive?

Any help is very appreciated. I'm *this* close to having my system up and functional again!

your lan looks to be up in the syslog, but it is showing three missing hard drives Disk 1, 4, and 5. and it does say possible corruption on sda. I would back up your flash drive and check it for errors. do you still have the failed drive and when was your last parity check performed. IF you had valid parity when the drive failed then and only then would I remove the new drive re-install the failed drive in that slot. boot up the server and via webgui make sure all the drives are there and in the proper slots and green other than the failed drive. if that is all good start and stop the array then shutdown replace the bad drive boot up assign the new drive and let it rebuild and do a parity check following that. when it is up you can ping the server ip and see if it responds prior to doing any of the above. The array is not going to start in it's current state.

Okey doke, so her is where I am.

I know I have a valid parity, so I re-attached the failed drive, made sure that all connections were secure, and fired up the server again. The LAN port is still glowing a melancholy shade of 'aint't workin' orange. (I believe its a color from the Crayola 128 box).

I cannot access the unRAID GUI or telnet into the system.

So, I powered off the system, pulled the flash drive and plugged it into the laptop. Windows asked me if I would like to repair the USB drive, that's the first I've seen of this. I navigated to the logs directory, and loe and behold there is no log from today!!!

So, in effect I have not much to add, but it feels like I'm moving into a world of trouble.

Thought?

So, I powered off the system, pulled the flash drive and plugged it into the laptop. Windows asked me if I would like to repair the USB drive, that's the first I've seen of this. I navigated to the logs directory, and loe and behold there is no log from today!!!

If you powered off the system by holding down the power button or switching off he power supply, the server did not perform a clean shutdown. This can corrupt the flash drive, hence Windows asking to repair the drive. Also, unRaid is a ramFS, meaning the OS exists in RAM and runs from RAM. Therefore the syslog resides in RAM and is only written to the flash during an clean shutdown. If you power the server off in a "dirty" fashion, the syslog will not be written to flash.

OK, having a monitor has helped a whole bunch.

There was a comedy of errors here. Evidently, I had a broken SATA power cable that was preventing 2 of my drives form showing up. Once I got the that squared away, all of the drives are now found. Also, it turns out that my motherboard had stopped trying to boot from the USB, so unRAID was never loading, hence the reason there was no LAN connectivity.

Once both of those issues were fixed, unRAID booted straight away, found and properly ordered all of my drives - except the one that I replaced. I now have preclear going on the one new drive so that I can add it to the array and rebuild from parity.

I can't thank you all enough for your help and responses.

TRP