New To UnRAID And I Think I May Have Messed Up My User Shares

Hi All,

I am in the middle of the long process of migrating data from my old RAID solution to UnRAID.  I am concerned that I may have not set things up correctly and would like a sanity check if possible.

My existing folder structure is as follows and I'd really like to keep it this way if at all possible:

Media

L Movies

L Movie Folder

L Movie Files   

L Music

L Artist

L Album

L Music Files

L TV

L Show Folder

L Season

L TV Show Files

When I set up User Shares, I chose the following settings:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/118434/User%20Share.png

I set a split level of 1, but it isn't showing in the user share now.  I'm not sure if that is expected behavior.  I read the documentation on User Shares, and even a few threads on them and I'm starting to think I messed it up.  The reason being is that I'm showing my first 3TB disk at 1.61TB full and the other three disks are still spun down.  I thought with high water set, it should start filling the next disk once it hits halfway?

Also, am I correct in assuming that setting a split level of 1 for my structure will be ideal?  If I understand the documentation correctly, The child folders inherit the next level of split?  So Media is 1, Movies, Music and TV is 2, and their subfolders are 3?  I would really rather not have my Movies, TV Shows, and Music at the top share level.  I will have other folders at the top level, and would like to minimize the number.

If I have screwed up my settings, Is there a relatively painless way to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

I suspect that you forgot to click the 'Apply' button when setting up the Split level?.

However I do not think that a Split level of 1 will meet your requirements.  With a split level of 1 then once you have created a folder under 'Media' then all further content within that folder will be constrained to the drive on which the folder was created.  On the assumption that the Movies, Music and TV folders were created on the first disk that would explain your observed behaviour as all content within those folders would also be constrained to that disk.

One way to think of Split level is the number of levels of folder within the path that are allowed to spread across multiple disks.  I would assume that you would want at least a level of 2 if you want the Movies, Music and TV to be spread across all your disks and possibly a higher value if you want more liberal spreading of files.

A point about Split levels - they are only applied when a file is created - they do not affect files already created.  This means that you can change split levels at any time without affecting access to files already on your disks.    However a corollary is that there s no automatic rebalancing of content across your drives after changing split levels - this is a manual process if you want to do it.

Thanks for the reply.  Apparently I clicked apply but it didn't take.  I've noticed sometimes the WebGUI is a bit finicky.  I set the split to 2, and am now moving some of the files around, although I probably don't need to since I'm still early enough in the process to where it won't matter too much.

Thanks for the clarification on split levels.  That makes more sense to me with that description. :)