Getting to data on hard drive

aitf311

Ive tried what I can think of and figured you guys might have an idea I havent thought of.

I bought a WD 500GB drive for my Windows system last week, made 2 partitions (40gb for windows, the rest for media). I finally got XP setup how I like it and decided to ghost the system. The ghost failed in the middle for whatever reason so I restarted the system. It would not boot up, it goes through the post and stops. It will now not allow the system to boot if it is plugged in, it doesnt matter what I'm trying to boot from (another hard disk, floppy, usb, cd).

I eventually did get it to boot up once using another drive and ran WD's diagnostic software. The tests could not perform and I got an error somewhat to this tune "Cable Error: _____ corrupt" I have tried resetting the cmos, running spinright (if the drive is plugged in, the program will not start), WD's diagnostic software in dos and windows, put in a new sata cable in a new sata port, and trying to use it as secondary disk just to get the data. I received a quote from DataSavers for $500-2700. The data is not worth me spending that much but it is worth me trying others guesses.

The drive is model WD5000KSRTL SATA and I would appreciate any help!

A friend of mine had the same advice last night, so I listened. I had to hotswap the drive because the system wouldnt boot with it plugged in but once hotswapped, GetDataBack recognized the drive! It says I had over 900,000,000 sectors and after 9 hours of running its only on 600,000 which doesnt seem very promising. GetDataBack's website says the software should cover 50GB per hour.

I'm gonna stop the software at 24 hours if it is still nowhere close to the target. Thank you for the help sonofbdn.

That's a pity. If you're game for another tactic: on the off-chance that what you have is a messed up partition table, perhaps you could try one of those utilities which tries to recover deleted partitions - something like the software at www.acronis.com. I think Acronis Disk Director Suite might be something to try.

But based on what you said about the system not being able to boot from anything if the suspect drive is attached, I'd guess it's more likely to be a hardware problem. Any chance of trying the disk out on another system?

Archived