First Unraid Build - Thoughts/Suggestions?

The power supply has a 24/20 pin connector for the main ATX connection, so yes, you simply combine the 20 and 4 pin connections for that plug.

And it also has an 8/4 pin EPS/ATX 12v connector, so you can use either of those for the 4-pin CPU auxiliary connector on the motherboard.

The USB connector can go on either row -- the 5th pin on the top row (above the blank space on the bottom) is not used.  Just be sure you plug it in with the correct pinout.  The black wire is ground ... which is the pin closest to the unused (key) spot on the bottom (and the same one above it).

As for the fans, you can connect them however you like.  As mrow noted, if you want the BIOS to control them, you'll need them connected to the motherboard header; but I've found the fans on the Q25B to be very quiet, so a simple direct connection is fine.  ... and that's even more true with the Noctua replacements you've ordered  :)

Many thanks; the answers matched my own thinking but when you havent done any serious tinkering in a while the ground doesnt always feel so steady under your feet.  ;D

I've got it up and running (or, at least to the point where "root@Tower:~#" comes up), so I'm fairly pleased. more work ahead! need to preclear and install unmenu and then starting moving data over.

this thing is mostly intended to serve up video to an ouya running xbmc.

i'll try and post some pics later, but the few I took arent all that exciting; looks like this is a somewhat standard kinda build 'round these parts after all.  :P

many thanks again to all those who took the time to respond and help out! :)

while reading about how long the pre-clear steps take, I started thinking maybe a UPS would be a good idea for my home setup.  one of my main goals was to have my data 'protected' so I suppose a UPS goes hand in hand with that idea.

I was looking at this one:

CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS 1000VA 600W PFC Compatible Mini-Tower

From this thread, it looks like this line of UPS's does in fact play nice with Unraid, apcupsd, and the clean powerdown addon.  Are there are other factors to consider? I'm also curious as it seems APC is the more popular option, but not sure if that's for any particular reason.

That's an excellent choice; and it works well with the APC UPS controls the UPS control add-ons for UnRAID (e.g. UnMenu).

APC is a very well known long-time UPS maker with a very good reputation.  So they tend to be better known.  But there are several very good competitors, especially in the lower-end of the market.  CyberPower units work very well.    FWIW, I have 3 APC units; 3 CyberPower units; and 2 Belkins (Belkins were excellent units, but they're no longer sold in the US).