Plex issues

HughesNet

I have an unraid install using the latest non beta version on a new build. High end hardware. Using plex 9.8.18.290.11b7fdd. I also have couchpotato, Sab, and sick beard running without issue. All installed to a share on the cache drive.

Here is my plex issue. On initial install all goes well. But plex sometimes crashes and stops running. This seems to happen often after I have copied new movies to my movies share but also has happened at other times. Once this happens though when I start plex up again it won't see any newly added content in the share. It also won't add a new library if I delete movies and try to add it again. If I reboot unraid it hangs on unmounting sharesand after reboot still has same issue. I have to remove all plex folders and effectively reinstall to get it workng but that does work. Also oddly streaming to my 2013 samsung smart tv plex app has audio issues and also has crashed plex server twice when closing the app. Steaming to android, iOS,roku is fine and airplay to Apple TV also fine.

What version of unRAID? Also please attach your syslog.

Version 5.0.5

I am pretty sure it is a plex issue. Least I think so. For example just now I had the issue. I just added some movies to the share. When I checked he unraid settings tab for plex it was stopped for some reason. I started it but it wouldn't see my new files when I told it to look. I deleted the movies library and tried to add it back but when I set the path and hit save nothing happens. The window doesnt go away.

I go back to unraid settings page and into plex. I stop plex and change the paths to a slightly different name

/mint/cache/appdata/Plex2 (added the 2)

Start plex and it is a new install and suddenly I can add libraries. Has to be plex right?

Syslog is 25mb so I am rebooting and trying to reproduce the issue to get a smaller syslog.

Maybe try installing Plex on to the thumb drive instead? I used to run everything of a cache drive and would get intermittent issues. I now have Plex, Sab & Couch all running off the thumb drive. The Plex Library is on a share and its rock solid.

Might be worth a shot.

I have read that doing that would be very very bad for the life of the flash drive given how Plex would use the flash drive. It seems that most people use the cache drive and I shouldn't be having trouble doing so.

First I would suggest you stop installing anything else and leave plex as the only add-on.  Confirm that it works or does not.

Second: what does your plex config look like.  What are you using (full path) for your library and temp directories?

Third: read up (if needed) on where to locate your plex logs via the plex forums.

The best I can see from your logs right now is that you have a lot of other things loading up (probably from sabnzb or whatever it is) and them PMS is starting successfully. Assuming it still starts correctly but won't scan your library after removing all else, you'll need to dig into your plex scanner logs.

Finally, DO NOT use your flash unless you want it to die.  Seriously plex is constantly writing to the log files.  It is the reason people install SSD's to avoid a constantly spinning drive.

Oh and how much memory do you have?

16gb ecc ram with a Xeon 1220 v3 CPU.

Plex paths were listed above

/mnt/cache/appdata/Plex. (Currently actually Plex2)

/mnt/cache/appdata/Plex/temp (Currently actually Plex2)

I can remove the other apps but it took a while to setup :( none of them touch on the Plex folder so I am not sure how they would contribute to the issue but I guess if I knew that I wouldn't have an issue. Plex worked fine for me till it had an update. I can't help but think there is just a problem in plex.

well it shouldn't be too hard to change the extensions of your other plug-ins/apps to stop them from loading without completely destroying all your work.

I'm of two minds though.  You say your setup was working before a Plex update.  So what version are you on?  I'm on 0.9.9.2 using a hybrid of 32-bit unraid plex + 64-bit ubuntu plex.  All running in unraid-bare (no xen boot).  But i also have nothing else loaded beyond apcupsd, and powerdown.

so I guess another test would be to get your hands on the older version of plex that worked and confirm that it does work.  Then you can truly say it was the plex update.

At that point, the problem still likely isn't that updated plex version itself but  the nature of Unraid and dependencies.  I'd if you are running into conflicting plug-in dependencies brought out with the newest plex [shrug] even though it could be something else using an outdated library. 

well it shouldn't be too hard to change the extensions of your other plug-ins/apps to stop them from loading without completely destroying all your work.

I'm of two minds though.  You say your setup was working before a Plex update.  So what version are you on?  I'm on 0.9.9.2 using a hybrid of 32-bit unraid plex + 64-bit ubuntu plex.  All running in unraid-bare (no xen boot).  But i also have nothing else loaded beyond apcupsd, and powerdown.

so I guess another test would be to get your hands on the older version of plex that worked and confirm that it does work.  Then you can truly say it was the plex update.

At that point, the problem still likely isn't that updated plex version itself but  the nature of Unraid and dependencies.  I'd if you are running into conflicting plug-in dependencies brought out with the newest plex [shrug] even though it could be something else using an outdated library.

Busy week. I have had the other plugins disabled the last few days and have imported over 30 more movies over that time with no issues BUT have also not watched anything. I have a suspicion that my samsung tv plex app is possibly to blame and plan to avoid it in favor of airplay from ipad to Apple TV or using a roku 3. What I am getting at is that I have not yet had time to fully test performance with sick beard,Sab, and CP not running.

I am using the version of plex I started with and have not added the update plugin. But I had the problem earlier this week on this version too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just found this discussion.  I am new sabnzbd plugin user (as of 4 days ago) on my unRaid 5.0.5 system.  I am now seeing slow sab download performance (3 Kbs) seen by others in this thread.  I've removed and re-installed sab plugin many times.  Checked all settings with giganews too .  Toying with moving sab and sickbeard (dont use couchpotato) to another box.  Is there any different (better) solution?  thanks.