Advice for a new build

butlerpeter

I've gone for the 1240 Xeon instead of the 1230 because I've found somewhere that has the 1240 for slightly less than I was going to get the 1230 for.

Would you mind letting me know where you found it for cheaper?. Its pretty pricey on Scan and I'd like somewhere to compare prices for my build.

Yours looks really good btw, I'll use it as my blueprint if you dont mind ;)

It was actually scan that I got it from.

I was originally going to get the motherboard and a 1230 Xeon from servercase.co.uk (that was the only place I could find that had the 1230 in stock and was one of the best prices for the board).

But the 1230 on there was £206 and Scan had the 1240 for £202. As I was getting the case etc from Scan I thought I may as well get the cheaper, higher spec cpu as well.

I've also ordered the extra lower hdd cage for the case, I don't need it now, but thought I'd get one whilst they were available.

Really looking forward to putting all the parts together. It's been a while since I built a system.

Does anybody have any thoughts with regard to thermal paste?

The Xeon includes a cooler which looks to have some thermal compound on it already. Will that do the job, or should I look at getting something else?

The last system I built (my desktop about 6 years ago), I fitted a 3rd party cooler, which came with some paste. So I have no experience of the stock Intel stuff.

If I remember (i.e. don't get too carried away putting it together) I'll take some pics and stuff and document the build in the UCD section of the forum.

Bit of a delay in the build now - motherboard will take longer to get than I was originally quoted :(

Waiting for an update on availability.

Bit annoying really, can't even make a start on the build. The two things you need to start with are the case and motherboard, if you've got those the rest can be added in later.

The two things you need to start with are the case and motherboard, if you've got those the rest can be added in later.

Frustrating delay.  Actually the only things you really need to do the build are the motherboard, CPU, memory, and power supply  :)    That's enough to a least confirm that it POSTS okay (as long as you're careful about what you set the motherboard on).  In fact, you can boot to an UnRAID flash drive and run MemTest and do a pretty good test of that bare system.

... but without the motherboard you're definitely out of luck !!

Archived