E2-2000 or Pentium G3220?

Hi folks.

I'm about to build an unRAID box, and I have two choices of boards sitting on my shelf:

Choice 1: AMD

Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE (E2-2000 APU) with 2x1GB ECC DDR3

Choice 2: Intel

Asus H87I-Plus and Pentium G3220 with 2x2GB DDR3

I'll be using my old favourite Lian-Li PCQ-25B, so both boards can fully populate the 5 bays in that case.  I'll be running 3x3TB WD Red, and most likely using the onboard LAN (Realtek on the AMD, i217 on the Intel).  I do have an Intel 1000PT adapter I can use if either's LAN is not recommended or won't work.

Use scenario will be general downloading (Sickbeard, Torrents, etc), and MySQL for XBMC sync.

Which do you guys recommend?  I'm swinging towards the AMD due to the ECC support, and the power use might be a little lower (possibly).

I can't seem to find any threads where anyone has tested either the i210 or i217. I would throw the free version of unraid on a thumb drive and boot it up and try.

Don't know what you could use that AMD board for. Might be decent as a router running pfSense.

Well, I got the Haswell machine up and running, and the Intel NIC works perfectly.  Currently just running with a single drive while I set up some plugins etc, then I'll fire in the other two Reds and the cache drive (a Samsung SSD).  The H87I-Plus has 6 SATA ports, so I can fill the 5 3.5" bays and have the 6th SATA for the SSD cache.

Don't! I had lots of those too (i have the h87i plus too)  and now they have mysteriously disappeared. Even when I had those "errors", I didn't have a SINGLE issue with my system,  nothing  at all, completely stable and I've been running my system for 6 months now. Just go on with it, and maybe if you're really worried, you might try updating the mobo bios to see if that helps..you are on 5.0.5 right?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

That sucks. The h87i plus is really great, 6 data port, Intel gigabit NIC which never fails to give me 100mbps read/write speed. Currently on bios 0507 and a 8gb stick of g skill ram, in case you ever decide to reuse it again.

But then again since you're not gonna be using Plex, the celeron should be just fine for your use case.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

v507 is a pretty outdated BIOS (current is v1005 - v507 is 6 versions before that.

However, HellDiver indicated he's on the latest BIOS (assume v1005), and is also having these issues, so apparently it's not a BIOS issue.

Are you running everything at stock settings?  (i.e. no overclocking)

v507 is a pretty outdated BIOS (current is v1005 - v507 is 6 versions before that.

However, HellDiver indicated he's on the latest BIOS (assume v1005), and is also having these issues, so apparently it's not a BIOS issue.

Yes, it's 1005.  No overclocking at all (I used Optimised Defaults, then turned the SATA to AHCI, turned off the Sound chip, and that's all). 

The B75M-A/Celeron G1620 rig runs fine with no MCEs, with the same unRAID install on the same drives and same RAM, so there's something odd with the Haswell setup.

What i meant was that im on v507, so maybe the newer bios version is causing the issue. But again, during the first couple of month of running unraid, i would have that error coming up ALOT, but don't see them anymore....

There are a lot of other ppl using haswell with unraid, so i guess we could say this is a mobo thing, trurl also has this mobo iinm, and i think he mentioned about this mce issue too. 

I doubt it was due to the 32-bit install => I suspect it was simply timing on the memory modules.  I've seen many cases where memory tests fine, but causes strange errors -- but if you swap the modules everything works fine ... and the troublesome modules work perfectly in another system.