Asus B85M-G LAN chipset compatibility

Hi,

unRAID noob here.  I'm considering purchasing this MB.  The LAN chipset is Realtek 8111G.  I've seen some posts about compatibility issues with the 8111x series.  But I haven't seen anything on this particular chipset.  Would appreciate any thoughts/comments/suggestions forum members can share.

Thanks in advance!

The days when Realtek LAN was a rubbish, bugged piece of crap are long gone.  The 8111x series are very good chips, and I haven't had any problems with them on any form of Linux.

They may have less driver issues these days in Linux but Realtek NICs are by no means a good chip compared to something from Intel or even Atheros. Even at my work, which is a Windows environment, we had so many issues with Realtek ethernet and wireless that we stopped buying hardware from any vendors that use their chips unless they offer a version of that hardware with either Intel or Broadcom.

They may have less driver issues these days in Linux but Realtek NICs are by no means a good chip compared to something from Intel or even Atheros. Even at my work, which is a Windows environment, we had so many issues with Realtek ethernet and wireless that we stopped buying hardware from any vendors that use their chips unless they offer a version of that hardware with either Intel or Broadcom.

You're obviously doing something else wrong. 

No, their drivers are just terrible.

They really aren't actually, but don't let facts get in the way of a good sweeping statement.

They really aren't actually, but don't let facts get in the way of a good sweeping statement.

Clearly you have much more real world enterprise experience than I do and are obviously right.  ::)