Need advice on backup setup (hardware, etc.)

I built an unRAID server to act as a backup for my media array connected to my Mac Mini and used it to hold all my movies/tv files while I rebuilt that array to be larger (another reason for going to unRAID!).  That process was OK, although I have had issues with all the damn hidden apple files since I decided to do the sync over AFP.  I'm only using SMB now and made an effort to clean that crap out.

OK...  So I have all my data on unRAID, rebuilt the other array to be larger, and started the transfer back to the Mini again.  And this is where I'm at now - and thinking maybe I shouldn't do this.  Why?  After I had all my data on unRAID I changed my Plex server settings on my Mini to point to unRAID and everything seemed to work just fine.  Over Wi-Fi no less (with a 450Mb link I might add).

Anyway, the purpose for building an unRAID server was so I had a backup of my data and had the possibility of further uses down the road.  My question at this point is does it make sense to keep my current array direct connected to my Mini and just backup to the unRAID over the network OR should I connect the array directly to unRAID and do an rsync (or whatever) from there?

The first option costs me nothing and I should be able to get a decent automated sync going.  The section option would require a purchase of a PCIe card with eSATA and preferably some internal SATA III ports as well (for future) - OR I could connect it with USB 2.0 and it costs nothing, but would likely be slow as hell.

I throw this question up to the group since you all have the experience with this.  This is my first foray into NAS so I don't have anything to compare it to with figuring out the best way to do this.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.  I can certainly stop the sync I have going since it's going to take days to finish anyway! :)

My rule of thumb is the simpler the better.

Its easy for me to dive too deep in trying to find a magic elegant solution...But that can turn out to be a lot of work or expense, and in the end brings its own problems.

I've learned to move more slowly and deliberately...do what works. Work with it stably for awhile, even if it takes an extra 2 minutes a day. Really learn and internalize the issues, and what works and what annoys.  And then understand the real tradeoff from adding more potential points of failure, more expense, more setup time, etc., before committing to the next step.

Here, I'd think about what you really want and need. Is it just TimeMachine for your Mac? Is it a duplicate backup of your movies online/in-storage/on DVD's?  As long as you're backed up now, there may be no urgency.

Fireball3's link is a fine start place for the technical side.

What does your "media array" look like?

About backups

That array is a 4 drive RAID enclosure, direct connected via FW800.

I've read though quite a bit of that post and threads before posting my question. I know I want to backup, just not sure which setup I described would be best. Not even sure one method is better than the the other!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My rule of thumb is the simpler the better.

Its easy for me to dive too deep in trying to find a magic elegant solution...But that can turn out to be a lot of work or expense, and in the end brings its own problems.

I've learned to move more slowly and deliberately...do what works. Work with it stably for awhile, even if it takes an extra 2 minutes a day. Really learn and internalize the issues, and what works and what annoys.  And then understand the real tradeoff from adding more potential points of failure, more expense, more setup time, etc., before committing to the next step.

Here, I'd think about what you really want and need. Is it just TimeMachine for your Mac? Is it a duplicate backup of your movies online/in-storage/on DVD's?  As long as you're backed up now, there may be no urgency.

Fireball3's link is a fine start place for the technical side.

I'm all for simpler!  My main purpose with unRAID was to allow for backup of movie and tv files, provide another area for backup of photos and other important files, and act as a TM server for my wife's Air. I've already got an online storage for some data, but I'm likely not going to put movie files there.

Now it's just a question of whether to keep my 4 bay enclosure direct connected to the Mini and backup on the network or to direct connect it to unRAID, use unRAID as primary NAS, and back up movie files to the other array. This is all a matter of preference I guess. At some point I'll outgrow my little array and will build another server, but that shouldn't be for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I never checked to see if unRAID has FW drivers...direct connect via something like 'SNAP' might not work as a result...and could require you to stay connected to your Mac.

I didn't think it supported FW and my MB certainly doesn't.  If I were to direct connect it to unRAID I'd have to buy an eSATA card and connect it up that way.  That may or not be worth the trouble and cost though.  Would certainly be faster than USB 2 though.