Noctua NF-R8 Not Showing In IPMI (X7SPA-HF-D525)

Compass

Hi,

I've just transfered my components(see sig below) into a Rosewill RSV-L4500 case, added 2 x NF-R8's in the rear but they dont show a reading/RPM in IPMI, doesn't matter if they are connected to the CPU or SYS fan headers,

Is this normal behaviour for these fans?

I've got the fans set to the lowest setting via the BIOS, and have manged to slow them down and in turn quiet them down by using a 4 way PWM fan splitter cable that also has 2 120mm fans attached to it, this then shows the RPM in IPMI.

Thanks

Hi,

I've just transfered my components(see sig below) into a Rosewill RSV-L4500 case, added 2 x NF-R8's in the rear but they dont show a reading/RPM in IPMI, doesn't matter if they are connected to the CPU or SYS fan headers,

Is this normal behaviour for these fans?

I've got the fans set to the lowest setting via the BIOS, and have manged to slow them down and in turn quiet them down by using a 4 way PWM fan splitter cable that also has 2 120mm fans attached to it, this then shows the RPM in IPMI.

Thanks

The pictures on NewEgg show this is a 3 wire fan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608006

With the PWM splitter, only the master fan sends tach info to the motherboard, the PWM signal is shared to each fan.

No issues with the NF-R8s on my X9SCM.

Are you saying you have 4 fans plugged in to a splitter and attached to a single fan header on the board?

Thanks for the replies,

Yes using one these, http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17923&cPath=73&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=export_feed&gclid=COiV8uGYsb0CFYySvQoda6QATg#googlebase

It has a molex connector to power the fans from the PSU.

If I only have the NF-R8's connected, I get no reading, if I add a 120mm fan I get a reading. And yes I'm connecting the NF to the 4 wire connector on this splitter.

These are the one I bought, they are 4 wire, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006GD30UC/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks

On the "GELID PWM 1-to-4 Splitter Cable", only the fan connected to the master plug will send tach info. If you look closely you will see the fan connectors are not all the same. One has the tach wire, the others do not.

I understand that, even when connected to the master plug, I get nothing.

It doesn't work connected directly to the motherboard either, or on the 2 way splitter that Noctua supplies with the fans, and one of those has a master plug(meaning 4 wire) too.

Solved: The BIOS for this motherboard has 4 settings,

Full Speed

Performance

Balanced

Energy Saving

The PWM signal for the 80mm fans is not sent on the Energy Saving setting, they must be spinning too slowly! About 600rpm, all of the other settings the signal is picked up and reported, I think Balanced was just over 1100rpm, which is too noisy for me.

I least I know the fans are ok,  8)