Does sickbeard need to run as nobody?

tucansam

Just moved sickbeard from a Windows system (where is was running as user "bob") to a linux machine, where is is also running as user "bob"

Can't add shows... Permissions on /mnt/tv_shows don't allow sickbeard to create directories.  If I log into the sb machine as "bob" and 'mkdir /mnt/tv_shows/foo" I get a permissions failure.

Do I need to run sb as 'nobody'?  Not sure how to do that either (sb runs on startup)

Thanks,

Either the user "bob" needs to be able to access the root directory or you need to mount your shares in the user "bob"'s home directory. i.e. /home/bob/mnt/tv_shows

Mounting the shares in just /mnt/tv_shows would be mounting in the root directory and therefor the "bob" account would need permissions for that.

OK... I know that "bob" had smb permissions since it worked under Windows.

Can I mount the share via samba (currently using nfs) and get the same result?  Mounting the directory in bob's home dir would mean changing a lot of stuff around on the server.

I know most folks run sb on their unraid server, but I prefer a sterile unraid environment. 

Is anyone else running sb on a separate linux machine?

OK... I know that "bob" had smb permissions since it worked under Windows.

Can I mount the share via samba (currently using nfs) and get the same result?  Mounting the directory in bob's home dir would mean changing a lot of stuff around on the server.

I know most folks run sb on their unraid server, but I prefer a sterile unraid environment. 

Is anyone else running sb on a separate linux machine?

I'm not sure what you mean bob had permissions in Windows. The user in Linux is not related to a Windows login account in any way.

Mounting with samba would not make a difference because of, like I said, where you have the directories mounting. It doesn't have anything to do with the protocol. It's the location your mounting these shares.

Like I said, your only options are to grant bob access to the root directory or mount it in bob's home directory and make whatever changes are required.

I run SickBeard in an Ubuntu VM, not in unraid.

I guess I'm confused.  How did sb, when run under Windows, have permission to write to /mnt/user/tv_shows on unraid? 

On unraid, my permissions look like this:

drwxrwx--- 1 nobody users  304 2014-04-02 02:18 tv_shows/

The nfs mount on the machine running sb looks like this:

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr  2 02:18 tv_shows

So I am confused where I need to enable access.  Thanks for the help!

I should add that I am running plex on this system as well as sb, and here is the only way I could get the mounts to work (from /etc/fstab):

//192.168.0.4/movies /mnt/movies cifs username=plex,password=

//192.168.0.4/tv_shows /mnt/tv_shows cifs username=plex,password=