current [5.0.5] web gui [PLEASE DELETE]

what I am talking about is, once in while i just take a glance at the web gui to see all is well on my unRAID box.

but when i browse to it the page does not load and I HAVE TO REBOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this makes no sense....

[all the shares are fine and i can get a putty session and all seems well with the box except the main page][i am NOT the first and only one to talk about this]

just wanna know why the web gui is so crap???

what I am talking about is, once in while i just take a glance at the web gui to see all is well on my unRAID box.

but when i browse to it the page does not load and I HAVE TO REBOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this makes no sense....

[all the shares are fine and i can get a putty session and all seems well with the box except the main page][i am NOT the first and only one to talk about this]

just wanna know why the web gui is so crap???

Does it do this in safe mode?  It's entirely possible that a plugin is causing this behaviour.

LOL

Sorry, we are so used to just jumping into debug mode! ::)

So I don't understand the exact nature  of the under-the-hood constraint, but I believe it goes something like this:

UnRAID is a 'commercial' product. The selling of KEYS hooked to specific USB sticks is how Tom makes the money needed to keep development going.  And the security of the source code is paramount to maintaining his control of the software. The core of unRAID are the two programs bzroot and bzimage. A mechanism exists to allow 'plugins', and 'user defined GUI's' but the two core files are untouchable.  Even the user defined GUI's work by querying the built-in web interface.

In the 'Kernel' of unRAID, the web server used to serve up the standard GUI content is something called 'emHTTP'.  'Event Machine HTTP'.  The use of that server is integral to maintaining the architectural integrity of the product...at least through v.5.

There is a problem with emHTTP as implemented in *nix. It was never designed to NOT be running. Therefore, there was no need to provide and there is no way to 'Restart' it if it stops.  :o  That 'bug' is buried in the design of emHTTP and is beyond the control of any of us.

As you've already discovered, this is a source of great anguish and frequent discussion on the forums.

People ARE frustrated, and

My understanding is that the Version 6 roadmap includes a replacement for emHTTP.

(Full disclosure: I don't *know* any of the above for a proven fact. Its my interpretation from all that I've read on the forums and some side discussions. I'm not in touch with Tom, and don't speak for him.)

Where I'm wrong, or I've made sh*t up from whole cloth, someone will correct me in the posts that follow below: