Copied config files across to new install, but no array showing

Hi folks, UnRaid has been running rock solid for me for ages but then I started having some network issues, couldn't see the tower over the network. So, I've been trying to get it working and have gotten to the point of doing a new install with the latest version (been running 4.7 since 2012). I tried copying over the config files as it said in the UnRaid manual but my array isn't showing at all.

I can see the disks if I try to add them manually but if I add them in the wrong order, I have a suspicion it will screw everything up. I had a spreadsheet with all the drive numbers and positions in it but for the life of me I can't find the damned thing. It's driving me nuts.

Anyway, the instructions say that if I copy my config folder over that the array details and shares will show up but they aren't. Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Cheers in advance

You're moving to v.5.0.5, correct?

In unRAID v5, disk order is irrelevant...EXCEPT for the PARITY and the CACHE disk...its a good thing to keep your disk serial numbers, but there's nothing magic about the order of the DATA drives (in fact, their order can change on every boot up...basically, they become 'b','c','d' etc., in the order that they spin up and unRAID finds them and adds them to the array.

Does unRAID boot and operate properly, otherwise?

in other words, all is fine, except you can't get the disks assigned?

everything boots fine except there is no array or shares pre defined. So you are saying I can just add all the disks to the array in whatever order and it'll all be fine? as long as I get the parity disk assigned correctly?

As long as you do not assign a drive to the parity slot, nothing will be overwritten. If you are sure all your drives are healthy, just assign ALL of them to data slots, and whichever one shows unformatted is your parity drive, and you can browse the rest to determine which one is the cache drive. When you figure out which those two are, set a new config again, and put all your drives in the correct logical slots.

What do you mean put them in the correct logical slots? Does the order of the data drives matter or not? Your initial reply suggested that it didn't (as long as you don't assign a data drive to parity), however your second reply kind of suggests that it does. I'm still a bit confused.

My parity drive is a WD Black and the others are Greens, so the serial number will be obviously different. If I assign the parity drive to the parity slot and the data drives to the data slot, is there anything else that needs doing?

The drive slots don't matter to unRAID, but it might matter to you if you care what disk# has which files. If you don't care about disk# then you can configure user shares after the array is back up.

What will happen is every folder that is at the top level of a drive will automatically become a user share with default configuration. You can then go in and make changes to each share configuration if you need to.

As everyone else mentioned, just be sure you don't assign a data drive to the parity slot!