Secure hard drive eraser needed (found)

erikatcuse

Thanks for the links and info.  With that I searched google and found the following.  DO NOT USE IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT DRIVE YOU'RE DEALING WITH.  THE FOLLOWING WILL DELETE ALL YOUR DATA.

You can replace the 2 with the number of passes you want to accomplish.  I think even just one pass would be a good deterrent. Also the sdX X=your sata drive assignment.  If you have IDE drives they'd be hdX.

AGAIN DON'T USE UNLESS POSITIVE ABOUT THE DRIVE YOU ARE ABOUT TO ERASE

for (( i = 0;i<2;i++ )); do

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdX && dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX

done

One last disclaimer use at your own risk.  The for loop will wipe your drive!!!

Thanks for the links and info.  With that I searched google and found the following.  DO NOT USE IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT DRIVE YOU'RE DEALING WITH.  THE FOLLOWING WILL DELETE ALL YOUR DATA.

You can replace the 2 with the number of passes you want to accomplish.  I think even just one pass would be a good deterrent. Also the sdX X=your sata drive assignment.  If you have IDE drives they'd be hdX.

AGAIN DON'T USE UNLESS POSITIVE ABOUT THE DRIVE YOU ARE ABOUT TO ERASE

for (( i = 0;i<2;i++ )); do

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdX && dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX

done

One last disclaimer use at your own risk.  The for loop will wipe your drive!!!

Good job finding this.  I am not exactly sure how Joe L.'s preclear script works but i assume it does something very similar to this.  The one things Joe's script does is make sure that you do not clear a disk that is assigned in your array.  This in and of itself would lead me to use it instead of the above code.

Good job finding this.  I am not exactly sure how Joe L.'s preclear script works but i assume it does something very similar to this.  The one things Joe's script does is make sure that you do not clear a disk that is assigned in your array.  This in and of itself would lead me to use it instead of the above code.

True but I'm not sure if Joe's script will write to the mbr or not and it only does zero's which some say is fine others say you should do a random pattern as well.  This will do both.

Archived