Silverstone DS380 build [Crux] Advice first, pictures later

After more consideration I don't think a hardware solution will work. The fan controllers I'm seeing only come with a few temperature probes, I would need at least 7 to monitor the individual HDD's. 

I'd be interested to know your mobo supports fancontrol in linux.

It appears the E3c226d2l does support voltage control. It has settings for CPU input, DRAM, PCH & PCH 1.5 (- Voltage Monitoring: +12V, +5V, +3.3V, CPU Vcore, DRAM, 1.05V_PCH, +BAT, 3VSB, 5VSB)

Unless someone else with board can weigh in I guess we won't know until we try to run the script. I'll have a crack over the weekend.

If it does work, I wonder if the Noctua NF p12's will have the ability to turn off entirely under voltage control?

I'm looking to build a server like this, just a quick question

since you have built this server is there anything you would have changed in regards to the hardware you originally used ??

and is unraid compatible to ubuntu or openelec devices, or is it more dedicated to windows enviroment ?

I'm looking to build a server like this, just a quick question

since you have built this server is there anything you would have changed in regards to the hardware you originally used ??

and is unraid compatible to ubuntu or openelec devices, or is it more dedicated to windows enviroment ?

I can't answer for him about the hardware but I don't regret mine.  It's in my sig. It seems like most on here have windows but they also use xbmc and openelec. unRAID which runs on linux (slackware) is one reason I switched my laptop to linux as well as most my hardware uses it too (openelec, tomato router, vera).  First Ubuntu and now Mint. Just the fact that you don't need any 3rd party software to ssh or sftp links in file explorer is reason enough or 3rd party txt editor.  You can use smb or nfs to access media.  I use 4 openelec devices. I also run a Ubuntu server vm and a Mythbuntu vm for tv.  It's not that unRAID is geared towards Windows, it's geared towards not having to use the command line and doing everything from its webgui. But you can use the command line or access its linux file system. It has nfs, ssh and sftp access built in.

I can't answer for him about the hardware but I don't regret mine.  It's in my sig. It seems like most on here have windows but they also use xbmc and openelec. unRAID which runs on linux (slackware) is one reason I switched my laptop to linux as well as most my hardware uses it too (openelec, tomato router, vera).  First Ubuntu and now Mint. Just the fact that you don't need any 3rd party software to ssh or sftp links in file explorer is reason enough or 3rd party txt editor.  You can use smb or nfs to access media.  I use 4 openelec devices. I also run a Ubuntu server vm and a Mythbuntu vm for tv.  It's not that unRAID is geared towards Windows, it's geared towards not having to use the command line and doing everything from its webgui. But you can use the command line or access its linux file system. It has nfs, ssh and sftp access built in.

dmacias how does your system handle streaming large Full HD blueray rips, some of mine are up towards 20GB in size ?

the problem im faced is I can't seem to buy either of the AsRock MB's anywhere off the main computer parts companys in australia

is the supermicro MB a better option, naturally i want one that has intergrated graphics on it ?

also can unraid handle 6TB WD RED drives ??

• 2 weeks later...

dmacias how does your system handle streaming large Full HD blueray rips, some of mine are up towards 20GB in size ?

My old system could handle 20gb .mkv bluray rips and it was nothing compared to this setup. You will need the cat6 LAN cable though and im not sure if you considering video pass through if so disregard.

the problem im faced is I can't seem to buy either of the AsRock MB's anywhere off the main computer parts companys in australia

Got mine off amazon at the discounted price when you first sign up amazon prime offers you 25% off and free overnight shipping. Used shipito freight forwarding to ship to AUS, i believe another bloke here grabbed his off US ebay and had it shipped direct.

also can unraid handle 6TB WD RED drives ??

I was going to go with the 6tb's but was not aware of the WD red's when i was purchasing, otherwise i would have loaded up them instead.

*Updated original post.

The problem upgrading to the Noctua NF p12's is they have 3 pins and the DS380 backplane is designed for 2 pin fans, it's too restrictive for 3 pin fans to fit comfortably. See photo below.

IMG_3843_zps908a1e34.jpg

The capacitor gets in the way of fan1 a little and the screw housing gets in the way of fan2, fully (as above) The fans are still activating however im not getting any readings from FRNT_FAN1 off my Asrock GUI (as below)

dd_zps59256123.jpg

A problem I'd like to have  :) :)

It has been teaching me. After 2 years i had 1x onkyo AVR, 1xGPU, 1x stick of RAM, 1x mobo all die on me, with the computer guy i was using telling me there was alot of sea salt getting in. Although i blame the AVR main board on not enough airflow (my fault)

PC's need maintenance every 6 months, but i'm lazy so i still try and find shortcuts. After seeing the potential of the super fine magentic dust screen filters i ordered 2 more. I've popped one on the rear of the DS380 as i'm currently using all 3 fans for intake.

IMG_3842_zpse54fd684.jpg

(i will eventually upgrade that rear fan to a Noctua)

Im putting the other filter on the CPU fan of my Skythe Big Shruiken thats in my HTPC.

More photos of cable management

IMG_3846_zpsbf4c5b65.jpg

IMG_3845_zpsd3fb84f2.jpg

IMG_3844_zpsfe3a57cb.jpg

Never got around to trying the speed fan script last week, but i have some time this week. First i will switch those two Noctua's around to make sure i've correctly identified that non reading issue. If turns out to be the separation distance on the fan header i may need to revisit my original plans to buy a tBalancer mini ng. 

Archived