[Hypothetical Proposal] unRAID VM's (KVM) inside unRAID hypervisor

I would be surprised if you can run a kernel that contains hypervisor in a VM?  At the moment v5 beta 6 always has a hypervisor installed (KVM or Xen) regardless of the boot option you select.    However when LimeTech release a v6 version which contains a kernel with no hypervisor this is something that could be experimented with.

I would be surprised if you can run a kernel that contains hypervisor in a VM?  At the moment v5 beta 6 always has a hypervisor installed (KVM or Xen) regardless of the boot option you select.    However when LimeTech release a v6 version which contains a kernel with no hypervisor this is something that could be experimented with.

Assume you meant v6 beta 6. But that makes me wonder if you could run v5 in a VM in v6 and make this work. Aren't some already running v5 in a VM?

But that is not a road to go down for the long term.

See last paragraph of this (wish) post for a general idea of what this is aiming at.

Thats actually that's the post that got me thinking about this.

I agree that multiple unRAID VM's inside of any hypervisor isn't a long term solution. BUT I also highly doubt that multiple arrays on one unRAID key will be seen anytime soon, especially since it's nowhere on the roadmap. This would be a good workaround in the interim for those who want multiple arrays on one system.

Having more than 10 drives per array makes me nervous, max I'd do is 16 total. Personally, Id rather run one array per 16 drive JBOD chassis like this one. Preferably all arrays being on bare metal unRAID, but if virtual is the only option, and it works... I'll take it.

I had a virtual machine set up with V5 ( free version) on V6 and passing trough a SATA PCIe card with some drives (parity and 2 data drives)

But that was perhaps not that you asked about?

//Peter

Thats exactly what I asked about. Before Tom introduced Xen I was running 2 unRAIDv5's inside an ESXI host (one for testing, and one for my data)

Doesnt have to be v5 inside 6, just has to be unRAID inside v6 for my tastes.

If I could do that then Id just put together another hypervisor box for everything else, have all the unraid OS's stacked on one system and everything else seperated from my data.

I'm running 6b6 as a domU under Linux Mint KVM currently.

That makes me wonder.... does the KVM/Qemu that's packaged with V6 provide native virtio driver support as a guest? If so, that would really make for a sweet marriage between hypervisor and VM.

- And all I can picture is the top from inception spinning happily ;D -