Gigabyte EG-45M-DS2H - can't for the life of me get it to boot from USB

pek1973

hi guys,

Have a Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H that I have lying around that i wanted to test unraid with just to see what the fuss was about.

Have tried just about all the different bios settings to get this thing to boot unraid but without success.  The bios shows the USB drive (sandisk cruzer micro 2GB) and it shows during post but the MB hangs just following DMI updation (shows its successful).  i have tried it with only one stick of ram (2Gb stick) and with out anything else connected - now i've run out of ideas.

Am starting to think i screwed up the "preparation of the flash drive but I've tried it now twice and I don't think I've made a mistake but then again maybe i have.

I know the MB isn't on the compatibility list but I had it lying around so thought I'd give it a go to see if I could use it successfully in a server environment.

any help appreciated, PK

hi guys,

Have a Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H that I have lying around that i wanted to test unraid with just to see what the fuss was about.

Have tried just about all the different bios settings to get this thing to boot unraid but without success.  The bios shows the USB drive (sandisk cruzer micro 2GB) and it shows during post but the MB hangs just following DMI updation (shows its successful).  i have tried it with only one stick of ram (2Gb stick) and with out anything else connected - now i've run out of ideas.

Am starting to think i screwed up the "preparation of the flash drive but I've tried it now twice and I don't think I've made a mistake but then again maybe i have.

I know the MB isn't on the compatibility list but I had it lying around so thought I'd give it a go to see if I could use it successfully in a server environment.

any help appreciated, PK

The wiki has some additional things to try, did you follow its instructions?

The wiki is here. 

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=UnRAID_Wiki

The user-contributed section has a lot of additional things to try.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=FAQ#I_can.27t_boot_from_my_new_unRAID_flash.__What_can_I_try_next.3F

and

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Boot_Codes

Assuming you used the -ma option when you prepared the flash drive to give it a master-boot-record and make it bootable, then you might need to use one or more of the boot codes.

Joe,

Seems like i cried wolf a bit prematurely.

The HP flash formater seems to have fixed the problem.  i swore i tried it before but whatever i did seems to have worked.  Array is initialising as we speak, so I'll make sure I triple check everythign before wasting people's time.  BTW by the looks of it the board looks to be compatible at this early stage.

PK

Joe,

Seems like i cried wolf a bit prematurely.

The HP flash formater seems to have fixed the problem.  i swore i tried it before but whatever i did seems to have worked.  Array is initialising as we speak, so I'll make sure I triple check everythign before wasting people's time.  BTW by the looks of it the board looks to be compatible at this early stage.

PK

When you get everything set up and have run a parity build and check please let me know.  Also see this thread to explain the motherboard testing process and the different levels.  Once you have your board tested and think it is stable please let me know and I will get it added to the wiki.

Thanks

Archived