SATA2 Cards

Psychosis

I don't know anything about prices in Australia, so I will quote prices in US dollars.

You can buy a 4 port PCI card for about $60 (Promise TX4)

You can buy an 8 port PCI card for about $100 (Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8)

The problem with PCI cards is they will slow down parity checks.  Not a huge issue since you only run them about 1 time a month, but if your PCI bus gets up to 8 drives, my guess is you'd be running parity checks at < 10,000 KB/sec (about 1/5 of the speed if using PCI-e controllers).

You can buy a 2 port PCI-e x1 card for about $30 (SiL 3132 based)

You can buy a 4 port PCI-e x4 card for about $100 (Adaptec 1430SA).  It needs an x4 or better PCI-e slot, which you don't indicate that you have.  But I have to believe that you have a PCI-e x16 video card slot.  This will work in that slot.

There is a new 8 port PCI-e x4 card that is not currently compatible, but my guess is that in the next few months it will be a viable choice.  Not sure the price yet, but it is not hardware RAID so should be in the $100 - $150 range.

You might be interested in this post to better understand the difference between PCI and PCI-e technology and speed implications.

If you want cheap with better performance than PCI, I'd try looking for a PCI-E SATA card with the Silicon Image 3132 chipset.  This model supports port multipliers which allows for a single SATA port to attach to 5 drives via a port multiplier module (3726 chipset).  I did this with my last 5 drives and it has been working great for several months now.  Parity times did not take near as bad of a hit as I suspected and typical read/write rates are unaffected.

I don't know how much luck you'll have finding these in Australia, but the card I got was a 2-port (so it can support 10 drives) for $44US and the PM module is $82US when bought separately (I bought mine with a 5-bay hotswap case).  Prices are surely better now, as it looks from the above post.  It's something to look into.

You can buy a 2 port PCI-e x1 card for about $30 (SiL 3132 based)

Is their such thing as a 4 port PCI-e x1 card that is compatible with Unraid? I did googling and found that while they may be 4 port, you can only you 2 at one time.

Also, I only need a 4 port card.. Not interested in 8 as my case can't handle more than another 4!

Thanks for your help :D.