Any use WebVirtMgr with KVM ??

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run Virt-Manager from my linux mint laptop. In Virt-Manager I setup a TCP connection to unraid. It uses the default port of 16509. With the plugin's version of libvirt you are then prompted for a username/password.  Which you setup with the saslpasswd2 command.  I tried to use SSH connection in Virt-Manager and WebVirtMgr but it needs netcat. And in the netcat nc.110... package the switch for udp is -u and Virt-Manager expects --U or -U and errors out. Haven't tried TLS.

When home I use Virt-Manager but I see WebVirtMgr as a way to manage when away from home from any browser.

Yeah I know. I opened a defect report highlighting the missing network management in unRAID's version of libvirt.  I just use upgradepkg in the plugin and it removes 1.2.7 and installs 1.2.6 and restarts libvirt.  Its been running fine for me all day even with some heavy testing. I'll keep looking for the newer version.

Here's the difference between the two if you wanna check them out

http://libvirt.org/news.html

Installed the new version, and created user taht you wrote, but I cant login with that? any idea ?

I'm compiling all packages for virt-manager as wee speak.

//Peter

Did you create a user with this?

saslpasswd2 -a libvirt username

It should create passwd.db in /etc/libvirt.  If you don't have /etc/libvirt symlinked to persistent storage it will be gone on reboot.  You could also try

/etc/rc.d/rc.libvirt stop
/etc/rc.d/rc.libvirt start

What system are you compiling them for?

I have a symlink , and above command what that I used.  I do compile it on a slack VM

With the new libvirt package in the pluggin, it turns on sasl2 for tcp connections to libvirt. I can't figure out how to turn it off.  So you need a username/password to connect to libvirt. Without sasl2 you could use any unRAID username/password. That command creates it and stores it in/etc/libvirt/passwd.db. This will show you the users in that db.

sasldblistusers2 -f /etc/libvirt/passwd.db

I tried changing settings in /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf but couldn't turn it off.  I might look at commenting out /etc/sasl2/libvirt.conf

This is login for webvirtmgr? You might remove the connection from webvirtmgr and recreate it using tcp and the peter_sm/yourpassword

Sorry I just confused myself.  The username/password for webvirtmgr login is created with manage.py createsuperuser and the tcp connection username/password is created with saslpasswd2  which is for any kvm management program to access libvirt via tcp

So once you login to webvirtmgr, you create a tcp connection to unraid using the saslpasswd2 username/password.

Same goes for virt-manager

Up and running, network shows up and it looks great, now I can play around ....

((Peter

Maybe you you have a similar setup and can test.  I have 2 network cards, one is disabled now and I still have a bridge in unraid named br0.  I might want to enable the disabled nic and use it for mythbuntu only.

One thing I see is I cant select my unraid bridge (br0) when creating new VM, but I will try some more ......

And I have only one NIC

//Peter

I confirmed under webvirtmgr when creating a new instance (vm) all I see under networking is default which is the virtual network.  However under virt-manager I see all of them docker0, eth0 ( bridge br0) and virtual network plus a bunch of others that aren't available.