Increase to 4gb or not?

Copey

Hi all,

I'm ordering some other 'bits-n-bobs' on the internet and wanted to get my order value up so I can get free postage!

I have added a 4gb OCZ kit to my basket but before I pull the trigger I wondered if it was worthwhile upgrading my RAM from 1GB?

If I understand correctly, the latest builds of unRAID can now see more than 1GB... but do they use it?

The Tower is used to store the usual: movies,music,pictures,back-ups etc and the only thing I run that isn’t standard is unMenu with the associated add-ons.

The files are accessed from PCs' & XBOX's around the house via hardwire and wireless.

I have never had any issues with 1GB (touch wood) but it would be nice to get faster write speeds (over 18mb/s) ...I don’t think the RAM can really improve these though can they?

I did do a quick search but couldn’t find any thing specific...

Thanks in advance!

In case its relevant: Mobo: ASUS P5B VM DO - CPU: Celeron 440

More RAM will not give you better write speed.

The benefit of add'l RAM is some additional caching.  If you start running specific applications that need or benefit from more RAM, clearly there would be an advantage there.  But for everyday unRAID uses, storing/retrieving files / media, performing parity checks, etc. the advantage of add'l RAM is little to none.

More RAM will not give you better write speed.

The benefit of add'l RAM is some additional caching.  If you start running specific applications that need or benefit from more RAM, clearly there would be an advantage there.  But for everyday unRAID uses, storing/retrieving files / media, performing parity checks, etc. the advantage of add'l RAM is little to none.

For smaller writes or bursts, the extra ram helps a little. but for larger writes, it does not help as much as one would hope.

Where it helped me is with my rtorrent client. I have 8GB and the extra ram caches the files read and written,  thereby making it run smoother.

My system is busy all day 24x7 so I see and feel the difference.

For a lightly used system,  the extra ram may not be noticeable for writes.

Where it does help is in caching the directories read.

In this case, it could alleviate some of the disk spin up when you browse directories.

This has been a large pro for adding the extra ram.