Building first system for KVM, help needed

gshlomi

Hi.

Long time user of unRaid, I want to build an unRaid server that will be able to run a VM to replace my current desktop (i7-920, 24GB ram, R9 290x, Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5).

The server will also run Plex (with transcoding) and CrashPlan, probably directly and not VMed/Dockerized (still open for suggestions).

I'm considering using an AMD FX-8350/FX-9370 on a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 with 32GB...

I'll be happy for any advice about the processors and the motherboard, as I've been a long time Intel user, but don't think Intel can compete in the performance/price ratio...

ps - AFAIK, unRaid is going to the KVM solution. Is there a reason to go with XEN instead?

thanks in advance

Hi.

Long time user of unRaid, I want to build an unRaid server that will be able to run a VM to replace my current desktop (i7-920, 24GB ram, R9 290x, Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5).

The server will also run Plex (with transcoding) and CrashPlan, probably directly and not VMed/Dockerized (still open for suggestions).

I'm considering using an AMD FX-8350/FX-9370 on a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 with 32GB...

I'll be happy for any advice about the processors and the motherboard, as I've been a long time Intel user, but don't think Intel can compete in the performance/price ratio...

ps - AFAIK, unRaid is going to the KVM solution. Is there a reason to go with XEN instead?

thanks in advance

We've had some challenges with amd cards on KVM, but we are still looking at it.  The issues may be solvable.