Two failed drives (independently) - need SMART report looked at

A few months ago a 1TB Seagate drive in my unRAID box died while a friend was borrowing it, however I was overseas at the time so he simply stopped using the server. When I returned I got the server back up and running by simply removing the drive from the array and everything was good again. I'll come back to this drive in a second.

Now, just my luck about a week later I've lost another drive - this time a 1TB WD Green

The good news? The WD drive has not failed SMART & passed both a short and full WDDiag test, doesn't have any reallocated sectors or pending sectors but does have this which I'm not sure about:

• 199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032  200  169  000    Old_age  Always      -      117

Full SMART report for WD drive is attached.

The Seagate drive I have has also not failed SMART, has passed a short Seatools and is currently running through a long Seatools test. I haven't yet looked at the SMART report for that drive but will do so after the full-test is complete.

I'm starting to wonder if it's just a cabling issue. Could anyone shed light on my SMART report?

+Edit: When it dropped out of the array it only had 2 errors and initially when I tried to run a smart test it was giving me some message about not being able to locate the drive (even though it was 'mounted') - this is when i removed it from the trayless rack and ran wddiag on a different pc.

wd-smartctl.txt

Tried to rebuild onto the Seagate drive and though the speed started good, last night before I went to bed it dropped to 5mb/sec rebuild then back to normal. I ignored it at the time, went to bed and in the morning it was still rebuilding at 5mb/sec - I had to go out today so I left it anyway, there were no errors. After a full night and full day of rebuilding it was only 30% complete running at 5mb/sec so I have stopped and taken the drive out.

For now, I'm rebuilding onto a spare WD Red I have and if that goes well I'll remove it and try rebuilding back to the WD Green. All else fails I'll go buy another drive..

Archived