Moving files from telnet session in user shares

In my previous media server, I had a share called temp that I would dump things over into to cleanup, and then move then from an ssh session to their final home. If I do this on unraid, will it distribute the files correctly across the split of the user shares, or do I need to move it into place over the samba user share?

I'm guessing that to accomplish what I'm after I would simply do something like 'mv directoryname /mnt/user/sharename'

In my previous media server, I had a share called temp that I would dump things over into to cleanup, and then move then from an ssh session to their final home. If I do this on unraid, will it distribute the files correctly across the split of the user shares, or do I need to move it into place over the samba user share?

I'm guessing that to accomplish what I'm after I would simply do something like 'mv directoryname /mnt/user/sharename'

You do not need to use samba. A command like you described would work and distribute the files according to your split-rules.

Joe L.

Excellent. I thought as much but wanted to be 100%. Moving files around takes forever and is so exhausting...

Just so you know, moving files between disk file-systems still takes a fair amount of time compared to moving a file around on the same disk file-system.

For the former, all the data has to be read, re-written, and then the original file data freed.  For moves of files within the same file-system, only the directory entries are changed.. The data blocks stay where they were, and the whole process seems almost instant.

If you are moving 500Gig from one drive to another, don't expect it to be done in a minute or two.. On the other hand, it will be faster than doing it over the LAN.

Joe L.

Archived