Test install of v6

FreeMan

I have a USB drive that I'd used to set up an older version of unRAID (4.x or 5.x, I don't recall). Can I safely wipe the files from it, then extract the current v6 beta to it, or do I need to reformat & re-run make_bootable?

EDIT: Also, where do I go for a good primer on v6? I know there are a lot of new features - dockers, plugins, VM, multiple file systems. Where the source for what's what, and the advantages of one choice over another? I've taken a brief tour through the Wiki, but there are a lot of "to be written" sections still.

I have a USB drive that I'd used to set up an older version of unRAID (4.x or 5.x, I don't recall). Can I safely wipe the files from it, then extract the current v6 beta to it, or do I need to reformat & re-run make_bootable?

While extracting a v6 distro to it might work, the syslinux area has grown and at some upgrade point usually needs a reinstall.  I'd reformat and rerun make_bootable.

EDIT: Also, where do I go for a good primer on v6? I know there are a lot of new features - dockers, plugins, VM, multiple file systems. Where the source for what's what, and the advantages of one choice over another? I've taken a brief tour through the Wiki, but there are a lot of "to be written" sections still.

V6 is still beta, with lots of unfinished (and unstarted!) docs.  The forum is best, has quite a bit of V6 info scattered around, still constantly changing though.

Archived