array protected visualisation

MvL

I like to see at all time in the interface of unRAID if the array is protected (Parity drive valid). Display a green bar or something on every page of unRAID.

I was under the impression that the green bar in the upper right and corner of Version 6b12 was an status indicator... perhaps I am / was mistaken.

Not to hijack this, but this did bring up a few minor visual thoughts about the current interface.

Does it really make sense for the Disk Health Indicator to be the same as the Spun Up/Spun Down indicator?

Would a disk with an error be red even if it's spun down?

For example my parity is spun down right now along with everything else but the cache. So they are all gray... meaning I quickly see if my parity is good, and unless you know that a disk will only be Gray when it's spun down if it's also good... you'd have to spin it up to know.

Also when you mouse over the disk status indicator it says two green arrows allow you to spin up the disk... but I don't see that as an option anymore in 6b12.

• 3 weeks later...

I like to see at all time in the interface of unRAID if the array is protected (Parity drive valid). Display a green bar or something on every page of unRAID.

I was under the impression that the green bar in the upper right and corner of Version 6b12 was an status indicator... perhaps I am / was mistaken.

Not to hijack this, but this did bring up a few minor visual thoughts about the current interface.

Does it really make sense for the Disk Health Indicator to be the same as the Spun Up/Spun Down indicator?

Would a disk with an error be red even if it's spun down?

For example my parity is spun down right now along with everything else but the cache. So they are all gray... meaning I quickly see if my parity is good, and unless you know that a disk will only be Gray when it's spun down if it's also good... you'd have to spin it up to know.

Also when you mouse over the disk status indicator it says two green arrows allow you to spin up the disk... but I don't see that as an option anymore in 6b12.

Changing the icons / symbols is not so simple a switch as it will have a rolling impact on documentation and other elements.  That said, this is why we have held off building the majority of the documentation for unRAID 6 up and to this point.  We are adding polish and UI improvements throughout the final stages of development now, and addressing points like these are going to be part of that polish.

I agree that the Disk Health indicator needs to be unique from the spun up / spun down indicator.  That would confuse me as well.