upgrade from 5.05 to 6 beta 12 or go with esxi? and more q's

2stroke

Heya guys currently have a 5.05 pro system running perfect with riserfs. I grabbed a ml110 g6 and are putting this into a fractle design arc case.

System

CPU- xeon x3450

mb- ml110 g6 hp

gpu- nvidia gtx 570 pci-e

audio- creative labs audolgy pci

sata- SASLP-MV8 pci-e unraid drives run on this only on-baord free 6 ports

nics- onbaord and 1 intel CT gigabit pcie to come when i get a riser cable

ram- 20 gb ecc ddr3

HD- currently 6, 1 partity 4 storage 1 cache riserfs

I wish to game on the machine in a vm, maybe use 6 threads for the gaming vm and keep 2 for unraid. The file system is riser, the only plugin i use is transmission for torrents.

Q1. Is it safe to upgrade to the current beta and keep riserfs for my current array? transmission needed.

Q2. Are i best to go esxi for my needs?

Q3. I have to use a pci-e x1 slot for my raid as the x4 is blocked by the vga, will this work fine since server only stores audio/video for playback? I will put cache drive onto an on-board sata for speed.

Q4 whats the current issue with riserfs and version 6? will it effect transmission? Can i just format the cache drive to xfs to get arround it?

Q5 What the hell is mover i think i disabled it if its meant to shift cache to array?

Many of the arguments in that thread are no longer applicable to v6 in my opinion.  If you go the 'docker' route to manage plugins with VM's for more complicated cases then arguments around package manager, etc become irrelevant.  You want the core OS to be a minimal well tested set of components that cannot be changed by the end-user.

Still as always you can go with whatever suits your needs.

Archived