Unraid 6.0-beta12 - Help Joining Active Directory

I am trying to get my unraid server to join my Windows Server 2012 R2 domain.  I have gone into the SMB settings on the unraid server and set the domain information.  I click the Join button, the webpage reloads and it stills says "Not Joined."  The password field is also cleared out after I hit the Join button.  In the log, I get the following:

Jan 10 16:55:14 sim-unraid-01 emhttp: shcmd (41): /usr/bin/net ads join -U "Administrator"%"*****" |& logger

Jan 10 16:55:14 sim-unraid-01 logger: Invalid configuration. Exiting....

Jan 10 16:55:14 sim-unraid-01 logger: Host is not configured as a member server.

Jan 10 16:55:14 sim-unraid-01 logger: Failed to join domain: This operation is only allowed for the PDC of the domain.

Will someone please help me get my unraid server joined to my domain?!?!  I appreciate all the help!

• 1 month later...

I had the same issue as you log file showed an RPC error.

I just connected to unraid via SSH

cd /usr/bin

at this point ping your FQDN

mine didnt reply back due to using my router as DNS, I then set the domain name on my router and still couldnt ping FQDN yet if I pinged justthe domain name it would reply with the FQDN, chances are I am being impatient here and should have either cleared cache or waited.

However I then just ran the command

net ads join -S dc01 -U administrator

it connected and showed it used the correct FQDN and short name. Unraid GUI then showed me as joined.

Just to test after this I told it to leave the domain and then used the GUI again to join it as I had tried before and it connected just fine

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I couldn't get my Unraid box to join my domain.

What finally worked for me was using the local admin account of the domain controller for credentials.

Using my user account (which is a member of Domain Admins) would not work.

It was driving me nuts.

Finally tried that local admin account and viola, it's joined now.

Posted this as it may help someone else.

BTW, this was on version 6.1.6

Matt

• 1 year later...
On 2/25/2015 at 6:35 PM, marshcroft said:

I had the same issue as you log file showed an RPC error.

I just connected to unraid via SSH

cd /usr/bin

at this point ping your FQDN

mine didnt reply back due to using my router as DNS, I then set the domain name on my router and still couldnt ping FQDN yet if I pinged justthe domain name it would reply with the FQDN, chances are I am being impatient here and should have either cleared cache or waited.

However I then just ran the command

net ads join -S dc01 -U administrator

it connected and showed it used the correct FQDN and short name. Unraid GUI then showed me as joined.

Just to test after this I told it to leave the domain and then used the GUI again to join it as I had tried before and it connected just fine

Thank you for this! I have tried for weeks through the GUI to join my domain to no avail. This command worked.

net ads join -S domaincontroller -U administrator