Can I use Crashplan docker to backup running Xen VMs and Docker img from Cache?

al_uk

I have an SSD drive containing the Xen Vms and docker image.

I have used Crashplan extensively to back up normal machines. I have installed the docker version on unRAID b12, and have passed through the /mnt directory into it. I am using it to back up my normal shares.

I would like to use it to backup the running Xen VMs, but I'm not sure how open files are treated.

Has anyone tried it?

Can I, and more importantly, should I ?!

Cheers,

I have an SSD drive containing the Xen Vms and docker image.

I have used Crashplan extensively to back up normal machines. I have installed the docker version on unRAID b12, and have passed through the /mnt directory into it. I am using it to back up my normal shares.

I would like to use it to backup the running Xen VMs, but I'm not sure how open files are treated.

Has anyone tried it?

Can I, and more importantly, should I ?!

Cheers,

Probably you can backup open files, from what I can see Crashplan supports that, but I am not sure why you should…

I have same configuration and have an Rsync script that I run manually to copy the files from the cache drive to a folder on the array and then I have Crashplan to backup that folder.

However I always shut down my VMs and Dockers before running the Rsync script!

I would like something I can set and forget - and to be able to go back to any point in time. And not have to manually shut down the VMs. Crashplan gives me this.

I could script a VM shutdown and then a crashplan start, but only if I have to.

I'll give it a try and then try restoring a VM, and see what happens! Just as soon as the Crashplan docker stops crashing on me!

Archived