Modifying data on individual disks

I've been moving some data between my 4 HDs so that the data is not spread out over all the drives, and so all drives don't have to spin up to read several files.. I've grouped things logically on the drives, and did all of it by accessing the individual drive shares.

How does UnRaid handle the fact that I'm messing with the data on each drive?

Does the parity still get changed as data is modified/created on the individual drives?

What happens if I have two copies of the same data on multiple drives, under the same folder structure? Or same file name, but different data?

How does unRaid handle that, when I'm looking at the data through user shares (as opposed to disk shares)?

I've been moving some data between my 4 HDs so that the data is not spread out over all the drives, and so all drives don't have to spin up to read several files.. I've grouped things logically on the drives, and did all of it by accessing the individual drive shares.

How does UnRaid handle the fact that I'm messing with the data on each drive?

It handles it just fine

Does the parity still get changed as data is modified/created on the individual drives?

Yes

What happens if I have two copies of the same data on multiple drives, under the same folder structure? Or same file name, but different data?

No problem either, but the one on the lowest number disk is the one you will see on user-shares

How does unRaid handle that, when I'm looking at the data through user shares (as opposed to disk shares)?

On disk shares you will see each file, with their individual contents.  On User-shares you will only see one listing (for each unique path/name) and it will be the one on the lowest numbered disk.  The second and subsequent parallel copy on higher numbered disks will not be accessible through user-shares AND you will see warnings in /var/log/syslog of their presence. (The warnings do not list the first instance, just the duplicate ones.)

To find all the copies, you can run this command listed in this thread: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2459.msg19267#msg19267

Joe L.

Archived