Slackware64 -current made public!

ftp222

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mine too!  But would it really make much of a difference, considering that unRAID under uses most of our hardware as it is?

wolfdv: unRAID can currently only use up to 4 GBs of RAM, so you may want to put your extra 4 GBs of RAM to use elsewhere.

Guest wolfdv

Mine too!  But would it really make much of a difference, considering that unRAID under uses most of our hardware as it is?

wolfdv: unRAID can currently only use up to 4 GBs of RAM, so you may want to put your extra 4 GBs of RAM to use elsewhere.

i know; but the ddr2 ram is dirt cheap; might aswell get identical pairs for compatability; and just figured why not just fill up the mobo to the max it supports.

my other machines also have loads of memory (8-16gb).. (although they are all running win 7 x64, so they are making more use of the extra mem)

it would be nice to support x64; so can address the extra ram; then if running a VM in the background, it could make use of the extra too

I believe unRAID has PAE enabled as my system is able to see more than 4 GB of RAM.  I am not sure if unRAID is able to take advantage of the extra memory, but VMware certainly is, which is one of the main uses of my system.  Any extra boost I can get out of the hardware in the system, the better!  Hopefully Tom is testing an x64 build somewhere...

I am not sure if unRAID is able to take advantage of the extra memory....

It does, I've tested it and proved that it will use it as buffer cache space and/or root fs space.

There is a slight performance penalty because memory is mapped in and out like it used to be in DOS days.

In any case, it works and does help with rtorrent and allot of simultaneous active torrents.

Archived