What dictates the Max Size a HDD can be in a system?

Hi.

I guess the above heading says it all.

My unRaid is currently using a 4Tb WD Red parity drive. I was rather pleased that the system could recognise this sized disk, but is there anything that could limit a larger one?? I'm using a Asus P5B-E Mobo. I'm asking because a recent parity upgrade to 6tb failed to see the new disk (probably a faultly HDD, but I'm not completely certain. It's been RMA'd). Could something else be to blame? Thx

The key differentiator is whether or not the controller can use drives > 2TB

Once you've confirmed that it's okay with that -- which clearly your system is since it works with a 4TB drive -- then there's no reasonable limit to be concerned with.    It will work fine with 6TB, 8TB, and larger drives. 

There's no practical limit, although I believe Reiser has a 16TB partition limit, so you'd need to be using XFS for disks larger than that  :)  [XFS has a 16EB (Exabytes) volume limit, so it'll be a while before that's a problem  8) 8) ]

There's no reason your 6TB disk shouldn't work with your controller.

The key differentiator is whether or not the controller can use drives > 2TB

Once you've confirmed that it's okay with that -- which clearly your system is since it works with a 4TB drive -- then there's no reasonable limit to be concerned with.    It will work fine with 6TB, 8TB, and larger drives. 

There's no practical limit, although I believe Reiser has a 16TB partition limit, so you'd need to be using XFS for disks larger than that  :)  [XFS has a 16EB (Exabytes) volume limit, so it'll be a while before that's a problem  8) 8) ]

There's no reason your 6TB disk shouldn't work with your controller.

Thx Gary, That makes me feel much better.