New to KVM for Steam gaming

ColonelRhodes

With the new release of Unraid 6b15 it seems easy to create a KVM with PCIe passthrough.

If I wanted to create a Windows 7 (or 8 ) VM to run Steam and use in home streaming, what would be the best way to do that?

Everytime I try to run through the web gui setup I get the following error:

Error creating VM: Cannot check QEMU binary (with a bunch of stuff following)

Running Intel Core i7 4790K

Just new to KVM.

Thanks for the help.

With the new release of Unraid 6b15 it seems easy to create a KVM with PCIe passthrough.

If I wanted to create a Windows 7 (or 8 ) VM to run Steam and use in home streaming, what would be the best way to do that?

Everytime I try to run through the web gui setup I get the following error:

Error creating VM: Cannot check QEMU binary (with a bunch of stuff following)

Running Intel Core i7 4790K

Just new to KVM.

Thanks for the help.

You need to enable virtualization support in your bios settings.

• 2 weeks later...

After some messing around I was able to install a GeForce 970 and enable PCIe passthrough on that.

Running Windows 7 with Steam (all Nvidia drivers updated)

In-Home streaming not working on other machines on the network. Steam clients detect the VM and the games installed on it, but crashes whenever launching a game.

Not sure if anyone has had success with this, but it's kinda my goal for this VM.

What bridge do you have assigned to the VM?  Use advanced view on the edit page for the VM. If virbr0, that is your issue.

Go to the network settings page (settings -> network settings) and make sure setup bridge is set to yes. Give it a name and apply.  Then edit your VM (advanced view) and type in that bridge name.  Now your VM will get an IP on your routers dhcp and voila, issues resolved.

I have the bridge set up properly and assigned that MAC address a static IP on my router.

Steam is open in VM and on my client machine.

When I click "stream" to start a game on the VM the client app crashes and does not load the game.

What games are you trying to do this with, I have a steam setup in a VM and could try to recreate.

What games are you trying to do this with, I have a steam setup in a VM and could try to recreate.

Just Cause 2, Super Meat Boy

My client is a Mac, but I've used it before with a normal machine being the Steam host.

I have a mac client myself.  I also have Just Cause 2 (no super meat boy though).  Let me give this a shot.

Just Cause 2, Super Meat Boy

My client is a Mac, but I've used it before with a normal machine being the Steam host.

I have a mac client myself.  I also have Just Cause 2 (no super meat boy though).  Let me give this a shot.

Tested this today from my Windows 8.1 VM with Steam installed and the launched Just Cause 2 from my Macbook Air (steam streaming) and worked fine.  I'll have to try this out with Windows 7 tomorrow to see if it's a Win7 specific bug.

Just a quick update.  Was able to stream from a Windows 7 VM with a NVIDIA GTX 780 assigned to it to my Macbook Air today (Just Cause 2).  Worked exactly the same as Windows 8.1.

Your issues are definitely not unRAID related.  I didn't adjust any settings for streaming on the VM or the client for that matter, but you might try doing that.  Post what settings you have on the client and the VM for in home streaming so I can review.

What are the different client devices that you are trying to do this with?

Just a quick update.  Was able to stream from a Windows 7 VM with a NVIDIA GTX 780 assigned to it to my Macbook Air today (Just Cause 2).  Worked exactly the same as Windows 8.1.

Your issues are definitely not unRAID related.  I didn't adjust any settings for streaming on the VM or the client for that matter, but you might try doing that.  Post what settings you have on the client and the VM for in home streaming so I can review.

This is great news. What service pack was that Windows 7 VM on? I was trying it with a stock (maybe SP1) with no Windows updates.

Maybe that was my issue. I will give it another run here this weekend and see what happens. Thanks for testing, I really appreciate it.

Steam in-home streaming is such a great feature, especially when playing a game like Just Cause 2 on your MacBook Air ;)

This is great news. What service pack was that Windows 7 VM on? I was trying it with a stock (maybe SP1) with no Windows updates.

Maybe that was my issue. I will give it another run here this weekend and see what happens. Thanks for testing, I really appreciate it.

Steam in-home streaming is such a great feature, especially when playing a game like Just Cause 2 on your MacBook Air ;)

Honestly I am not sure but I do think I had all the updates installed (not just stock). I can try booting it up later today and post a pic of what updates I have.

If you're still having issues after updating yourself, post screenshots here of your steam in home streaming configuration pages (steam -> settings -> in home streaming).  Do this for both the devices you are connecting from and from the VM.

loRzYKo.png

AB5xzcn.png

GLd8pEE.png

MGt22Lq.png

d5sdBKu.png

So I made sure Windows Update was fully updated and also the latest NVIDIA drivers were installed.

I am still not able to get this to work.

The only thing I can think that is causing this would be from how I remote in to the machine to operate it:

Since VNC is disabled with PCIe passthrough of the graphics card, I have TeamViewer install on the Windows VM (unraid is headless).

I think maybe TeamViewer could be causing an issue, but I dont know another way around that.

loRzYKo.png

AB5xzcn.png

GLd8pEE.png

MGt22Lq.png

d5sdBKu.png

So I made sure Windows Update was fully updated and also the latest NVIDIA drivers were installed.

I am still not able to get this to work.

The only thing I can think that is causing this would be from how I remote in to the machine to operate it:

Since VNC is disabled with PCIe passthrough of the graphics card, I have TeamViewer install on the Windows VM (unraid is headless).

I think maybe TeamViewer could be causing an issue, but I dont know another way around that.

Try installing a VNC server on the VM directly.  RealVNC is free and easy. Then log in with realvnc and open steam, then disconnect VNC.

Try installing a VNC server on the VM directly.  RealVNC is free and easy. Then log in with realvnc and open steam, then disconnect VNC.

Thank you for the tip!

I seem to have gotten everything working...I was an idiot and didn't think to launch the game from within the VM first. I guess I needed some Microsoft .NET package installed.

Maybe you can assist with a few other things:

- No sound from in-home streaming off the VM. (Maybe a sound "driver" needs to be installed.)

- Ping times are terrible from my client computer to the VM.

Ping times to my Unraid server (over wi-fi) are around 4-5 ms

Ping times to the VM running on Unraid fluctuate from 3-200 ms (how can this be more consistent like pinging unraid)

Thank you for the tip!

I seem to have gotten everything working...I was an idiot and didn't think to launch the game from within the VM first. I guess I needed some Microsoft .NET package installed.

No problem!  Steam still needs a little work on the in-home streaming stuff, but it's certainly come a long way.

Maybe you can assist with a few other things:

- No sound from in-home streaming off the VM. (Maybe a sound "driver" needs to be installed.)

When you are VNC connected to the VM, in the bottom right, do you see the little Windows speaker icon?  Does it have a red exclamation point over it?

- Ping times are terrible from my client computer to the VM.

Ping times to my Unraid server (over wi-fi) are around 4-5 ms

Ping times to the VM running on Unraid fluctuate from 3-200 ms (how can this be more consistent like pinging unraid)

Can you try a wired connection just to see if this is consistent with ping fluctuation?  How are you measuring your ping times to the VM?  What kind of wifi signal do you have?

The Ping is too inconsistent to get any good troubleshooting from. I just see it fluctuate more than pinging the unraid server IP address.

Red "X" appears over the sound icon in the menu bar. I'm guessing there is no Audio board detected for some reason.

Ok, for the audio, try switching the audio device from being the same device as the video card to the on board audio (usually device 00:00:1b.0 on intel systems).

For the ping, I'll need to do some testing from my end.

Archived