"Will this HW do the job?" and other questions

dahou

Hi community,

I've been reading in the forums and am amazed what people do with their unRAID boxes.

My minimum requirements to the setup would be the use of plex (max 2 streams), deluge / rtorrent, rsync, btsync, backup sets to external drives.

I'd be really thankful I could get a few comments on this build:

I also have some other questions and would really appreciate comments and / or advice.

[*]Would this build be too loud for a living room environment? I understand everyone has a different noise tollerance... but you know. What do you think?

[*]I was reading up on virtualisation in the forums and the Lime website. Is it possible (with this hardware) to virtualize a OS that has direct access to the hardware? E.g. Run a video game on Steam / Windows; access my (usb) dongled security software on Windows; setup a render slave for my rendering software on Linux... You get the idea. Or does this function like it would with VirtualBox etc?

[*]How much processing power does unRAID itself really need?

Thanks so much for reading this far. Appreciate any critic & comment.

D.

Edit: Would anything be overkill?

UnRAID itself doesn't really need much processing power, it runs perfectly happily on an Atom D2700.

I'd look to get a Corsair CS rather than a CX.  The CS is a newer and better PSU.

ECC RAM won't work with an i5 or i7, and it also won't work on a Z97.  You need a Celeron, Pentium, i3 or Xeon for ECC support, and it has to be on a C224/C226 chipset board.

Archived