smbd fails to start

PeterB

I originally posted this in the release notification thread, in case there was a known issue in rc3.  However, there seem to be no other reports, so I guess that the issue only affects me:

Has there been any change to SMB of which we should be aware?

I know that I could access my usb flash over SMB in b15.  In rc3 it's no longer possible.  I cannot recall whether it was working in rc1/2.

SMB Access to the boot flash from my Macs is working the same in rc3 as it did for me in b15.

Working for me (Windows) too.

Go to Main - Boot Device, click on Flash and check your SMB Security Settings

Name: Flash

Export: Yes

Security: Public

But it's not just the flash drive that I can't access.  I have a couple of user shares which are set similarly, and those are not accessible either.  More than that, as I said in my original post, browsing to the server reports 'Failed to retrieve share list from server'.

In settings -> SMB I have:

Enable SMB:  Yes (Workgroup)

Workgroup: earley

Local master: Yes

What is a 'Workgroup'  and what is a 'Local Master'?  Do I have these settings wrong - not that I've changed them recently.

All I know is that I could access my flash drive a couple of weeks ago, and now I can't.  I've not, knowingly, changed any settings related to shares and network.

Edit:

Is it significant that the following message appears on the console when I stop the array:?

"smbd: no process found"

Edit2:

That message also appears on startup, immediately after the 'Tower login:2 prompt.

I have booted in 'Safe' mode and SMB shares are still not accessible.

Since then I've done a little more investigation, attempting to start smbd in interactive mode:

root@Tower:~# smbd -i
smbd version 4.1.17 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2013
tdb(/etc/samba/private/secrets.tdb): tdb_oob len 16408 beyond eof at 4096
tdb(/etc/samba/private/secrets.tdb): tdb_transaction_recover: failed to read recovery record
Failed to open /etc/samba/private/secrets.tdb
tdb(/etc/samba/private/secrets.tdb): tdb_oob len 16408 beyond eof at 4096
tdb(/etc/samba/private/secrets.tdb): tdb_transaction_recover: failed to read recovery record
Failed to open /etc/samba/private/secrets.tdb
STATUS=daemon failed to start: smbd can not open secrets.tdb, error code 13
root@Tower:~#

It would seem that the secrets.tdb file is not as it is expected to be.  However, I don't know how this file is created, so I'm not sure where to direct my investigation.

Can anyone help?

Thanks for your response.

How/where do I delete the secrets.tbd file?  I find it in the root virtual disk - do I have to modify the bzroot file somehow?

I've read through the topic you linked to - but it does not seem very relevant to my problem.

Edit:

Okay, I went ahead and simply deleted secrets.tdb from the /etc/samba/private directory.  Starting smb interactively then resulted in four "Address family not supported by protocol" errors.

I then went ti the GUI SMB settings and disabled/enabled SMB.  This seems to have fixed the problem - I'll see what happens after the next reboot.

I'm beginning to wonder whether this problem is a result of the failed rc2 -> rc3 upgrade, when my flash drive ran out of space.

Archived