A quick question: SATA as IDE

EDIT: Just gave the boot code "append initrd=bzroot rootdelay=10 acpi=off nolapic noapic" a try - up to now it has "successfully" booted 6 out of 6 times. Problem is I can't access the tower over LAN, not by hostname, not by IP. My router isn't seeing the tower either, so no wonder... During boot, the system's now hanging at "Starting Network Interface Plugging Daemon" consistantly for about 10+ secs. What exactly does this boot code do? :P

You added three boot codes.  Try removing one at a time and see if your networking returns... (Assuming it was there at one point, it should return)

As far as what the boot codes to... google is your friend.  Google "boot code noapic" for example.

Joe L.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You added three boot codes.  Try removing one at a time and see if your networking returns... (Assuming it was there at one point, it should return)

As far as what the boot codes to... google is your friend.  Google "boot code noapic" for example.

One step ahead of ya :D

Am currently using "append initrd=bzroot rootdelay=10 acpi=off" and it seems to do the trick! The system has now booted successfullly (consistantly) countless times! LAN et al. :D

I know there's ussually an option for memory voltage in the BIOS, but I can almost guarantee it isn't there! The only thing resembling this is the "DDR18V" (as noted earlier) running at 1.936 volts, but I can't change anything.

Assuming the boot code really did do the trick, fortuneatly this will all be irrellevant ;)

EDIT: Just noticed your edit ;) I have tried choosing +0.2 at the OverVoltage control, but it didn't make a difference (not to the "DDR18V" either, but I don't know what that is... ).

About the googling; I thought the boot codes were unraid specific, not Linux, so I didn't think google would be of much help this time - sorry for seeming impatient! :)

One step ahead of ya :D

Am currently using "append initrd=bzroot rootdelay=10 acpi=off" and it seems to do the trick! The system has now booted successfullly (consistantly) countless times! LAN et al. :D

I know there's ussually an option for memory voltage in the BIOS, but I can almost guarantee it isn't there! The only thing resembling this is the "DDR18V" (as noted earlier) running at 1.936 volts, but I can't change anything.

Assuming the boot code really did do the trick, fortuneatly this will all be irrellevant ;)

EDIT: Just noticed your edit ;) I have tried choosing +0.2 at the OverVoltage control, but it didn't make a difference (not to the "DDR18V" either, but I don't know what that is... ).

About the googling; I thought the boot codes were unraid specific, not Linux, so I didn't think google would be of much help this time - sorry for seeming impatient! :)

I'd leave the voltage at +0.2,  the DDR18V is just a label, not a measurement.

Glad you are up and running.

Joe L.

There's not much about the boot process that is unRAID specific.

Let's hope things go smoothly for you now.

After, I'd guess, 30 successfull reboots through the webgui, I wanted to just power down (because the problem seemed fixed :D!). When trying to do so, the the system just stops the HD, but right after that I get the message "System halted" and it doesn't shut down. This is consistent - I can't power down through the gui at all. When this happened the first time and I tried to boot again afterwards, I got a kernal panic. This is however not consistent and none of it's happened before.

I hate my life... sorta ;)

After, I'd guess, 30 successfull reboots through the webgui, I wanted to just power down (because the problem seemed fixed :D!). When trying to do so, the the system just stops the HD, but right after that I get the message "System halted" and it doesn't shut down. This is consistent - I can't power down through the gui at all. When this happened the first time and I tried to boot again afterwards, I got a kernal panic. This is however not consistent and none of it's happened before.

I hate my life... sorta ;)

Probably because you told the kernel to not use the ACPI.

ACPI = Advanced Configuration and Power Interface

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface

Joe L.   

I'm an ass.

Still, even though it's doing what it's supposed to, I need it to be able to completely shut down remotely :(

I think I'm gonna go with a different motherboard altogether - this just isn't worth the hassle anymore...

Thanks for all the help! I won't give up on unRAID - it simply has too much potential - but I need some hardware I can "trust" ;)

I wanted to just power down (because the problem seemed fixed :D!). When trying to do so, the the system just stops the HD, but right after that I get the message "System halted" and it doesn't shut down. This is consistent - I can't power down through the gui at all.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is the expected and normal behavior when running with acpi disabled - the ability to power down via software is an acpi function; without it, the best the OS can do is quiesce everything, halt, and wait for a human (or managed UPS or PDU) to remove the power.

I'm an ass.

Still, even though it's doing what it's supposed to, I need it to be able to completely shut down remotely :(

I think I'm gonna go with a different motherboard altogether - this just isn't worth the hassle anymore...

Thanks for all the help! I won't give up on unRAID - it simply has too much potential - but I need some hardware I can "trust" ;)

Before you do, you might check to see if there is a BIOS upgrade available... It can't hurt, and who knows... might be able to leave acpi enabled.

Joe L.

I replaced the GigaByte board with an Asus P5QL-EM and I'm pleased to say everything seems to be running perfectly - no boot codes necessary :D

It has the same North- and Southbridge as the official Super Micro C2SEE, so I thought it would be the best buy, even though no one seems to have any experience with it...

Attached is my syslog - can someone confirm everything's looking as it should? :)

I replaced the GigaByte board with an Asus P5QL-EM and I'm pleased to say everything seems to be running perfectly - no boot codes necessary :D

It has the same North- and Southbridge as the official Super Micro C2SEE, so I thought it would be the best buy, even though no one seems to have any experience with it...

Attached is my syslog - can someone confirm everything's looking as it should? :)

My only suggestion is that you make sure to test this board out, due some parity calculations and checks and just in general "stress" the system to make sure it is good to go.

Also, if/when you get a chance take a look at the Motherboard Rating System and see if you can get confirmation that this board meets the criteria.  Once that is done I can add the motherboard to the wiki so that other new users can find it.

Remember to remove the "acpi=oldboot" parameter from the startup in your syslinux.cfg.

Must feel good to finally be able to turn the key and have it start up correctly.  But you haven't formatted all of the drives yet.  Time to put her in gear and find out what she can do for you!

Remember to remove the "acpi=oldboot" parameter from the startup in your syslinux.cfg.

Ah crap, forgot I gave that a shot before finally giving up on the old board! It still boots nicely without the line though :D

You have no idea of how much I've been looking forward to this moment! Might seem a bit exagerated, but c'mon, the idea of never having to worry about disk space ever again (apart from just buying a few HD's when needed) is just amazing!

I do have a few questions regarding user shares, though... I have read the manual and I think I've understood most of it, but there's a couple of things that doesn't make sense yet ;)

From the Wiki:

In the case where the same object (directory or file) exists at the same hierarchy on multiple disks, the User Share will reference the object on the lowest numbered disk. For example, if Movies/Cars existed on both disk1 and disk2, then Cars under the Movies User Share would refer to the version on disk1.

Makes sense, but...

Often media data will consolidated under a single directory, or directory tree. Then during playback the files will be accessed one after another. This is the case with the set of VOB files which make up a DVD movie. In this situation we want all the associated media files to be stored on the same physical disk if at all possible. This is because we don't want media playback to pause while the disk containing the next file spins up. unRAID OS solves this problem by introducing a configurable allocation parameter called "Split level".

I get what's being said, but say I don't set up split level - if I were to copy a season of a TV show to the user share with the high-water allocation method set, the different episodes would probably be split across multiple disks... How?

An example (completely hypothetical for now ;)):

I have "TV" as a top-level user share to which I copy the first season of Lost (\\tower\TV\Lost\Season 1\).

In this case I would set the split level to 2. But if I didn't and the high-water mark of the initial disk (disk1) is reached, as far as I understand, unRAID will start copying to the next disk (disk2). But to where?

When I started the copy the physical dir \disk1\TV\Lost\Season 1\ was created, and unless the other disks conform to some unRAID specific naming convention, when the mark is reached it'll create the dir \disk2\TV\Lost\Season 1\ and copy the remaining episodes, which will then be ignored according to the first quote :D

What am I misunderstanding here?

Another thing, and this is probably just a case of habit: unRAID will be replacing a Qnap NAS. I accessed this NAS like I do any other drive; adding it as a network drive in Vista. Problem is, with unRAID each user share has to be mapped as a seperate network drive. Isn't it possible to add the network drive "tower" and through that have access to the different user shares? I know I could just create one user share and just add subdirs to that, but then I wouldn't be able to set the split levels accordingly :( I think I'm requesting a top-top-level user share! :D

Still, when I made a user share and mapped it to a drive, seeing my 2 HD's reported as one big disk for the first time was amazing ;)

Another thing, and this is probably just a case of habit: unRAID will be replacing a Qnap NAS. I accessed this NAS like I do any other drive; adding it as a network drive in Vista. Problem is, with unRAID each user share has to be mapped as a seperate network drive. Isn't it possible to add the network drive "tower" and through that have access to the different user shares? I know I could just create one user share and just add subdirs to that, but then I wouldn't be able to set the split levels accordingly :( I think I'm requesting a top-top-level user share! :D

Still, when I made a user share and mapped it to a drive, seeing my 2 HD's reported as one big disk for the first time was amazing ;)

After screwing up the other split level thread, I don't feel confident enough to answer your split level questions.  However, I can answer this one:

Yes, you can map a network drive to the 'Tower' level.  Upon opening your network drive, you would see the following shares:

flash share

all your disk shares (one per disk)

all your user shares (however many you have set up)

You can optionally turn on and off the different shares, for example you could turn off your disk shares and flash share (choose 'don't export') and only see your user shares.  The only disadvantage to this is that writing to a user share is a bit slower than writing to a disk share, but in my experience the difference isn't worth fretting over. 

There's another option: just make shortcuts.  You don't absolutely need to map network drives, you can just create shortcuts to your various user shares (I drag them into the shortcut list on the left of the explorer window for quick access).  If your unRAID tower is powered off (or if the array is stopped) Windows will hang for a bit, then tell you there is a problem.  But if you keep your unRAID server powered on (and the array started) all the time, then everything will be quickly accessible.  The only other lag you will experience is while waiting for a disk to spin up, but this is going to be true no matter how you configure your shares.

Yes, you can map a network drive to the 'Tower' level. 

There's another option: just make shortcuts.

Actually, I am unable to map a network drive to the tower level... I can add \\tower\Movies, but not \\tower or using local IP.

EDIT: "tower" is the server; you can only map a network drive to a share.

I love the fact that by mapping it as a network drive I can see the full disk size - I'm just a sucker for the really big drive :D Again, it's a case of habit which can probably easily be changed, but if it is at all possible, I'd like to do it that way ;)

Yes, you can map a network drive to the 'Tower' level. 

There's another option: just make shortcuts.

Actually, I am unable to map a network drive to the tower level... I can add \\tower\Movies, but not \\tower or using local IP.

I love the fact that by mapping it as a network drive I can see the full disk size - I'm just a sucker for the really big drive :D Again, it's a case of habit which can probably easily be changed, but if it is at all possible, I'd like to do it that way ;)

It is actually pretty easy  if you are using 4.5-beta2 of unRAID or newer.  The ability to use a custom smb-extra.conf file was introduced in the 4.5 series.  Here is what you need to do:

Create a file in the config folder on your flash drive named smb-extra.conf

in it put the following three lines

[Tower]

path = /mnt/user

read only = No

Then, you can stop and re-start unRAID, or you can get SAMBA to re-read its config files by typing this on the command line

smbcontrol smbd reload-config

This will create a "shared" drive named "Tower" having sub-folders for all your other top-level directories.

To make it easier, cutting and pasting these next 4 commands will create the file and re-read the config for you.

echo "[Tower]" >/boot/config/smb-extra.conf

echo "    path = /mnt/user" >> /boot/config/smb-extra.conf

echo "    read only = No" >> /boot/config/smb-extra.conf

Have fun.   You will probably need to re-select the server from network-neighborhood for windows to show you the new share.  It sometimes does not re-scan the available shares instantly. (By default, I think it only scans network neighborhood every 15 minutes or so)

If you want to name the share something else, just edit the name between the "[" and "]" characters.   Use an editor that does not put carriage-returns on the ends of the lines if you edit the file, or process it through fromdos.  If you cut and paste the "echo" commands above, this will not be an issue.

Joe L.

It is actually pretty easy.

[Tower]

path = /mnt/user

read only = No

Then, you can stop and re-start unRAID, or you can get SAMBA to re-read its config files by typing this on the command line

This will create a "shared" drive named "Tower" having sub-folders for all your other top-level directories.

To make it easier, cutting and pasting these next 4 commands will create the file and re-read the config for you.

Have fun.   You will probably need to re-select the server from network-neighborhood for windows to show you the new share.  It sometimes does not re-scan the available shares instantly. (By default, I think it only scans network neighborhood every 15 minutes or so)

If you want to name the share something else, just edit the name between the "[" and "]" characters.   Use an editor that does not put carriage-returns on the ends of the lines if you edit the file, or process it through fromdos.  If you cut and paste the "echo" commands above, this will not be an issue.

Joe L.

Very nice, tried it and love it ;-)

Maybe I was mixing up network drives and shortcuts.  I know I have a shortcut to the 'tower' level (on Vista: open 'Network', drag the 'Tower' icon to the shortcut list on the left of the explorer window or the desktop or the quick launch or wherever you want it - done!).  I don't find network drives to be all that useful, though it is a nice way to quickly check the server's total size and total free space (if you don't have unMenu installed).

Well, as this threads original topic really has nothing to do with what's being discussed I might as well continue to ask semi-stupid questions here! ;)

I'm about to copy the data from my NAS to the unRAID tower, but is there anyway to do this without my laptop acting as a buffer/cache? Like FXP.

My laptop's only 100Mbit where both the tower and NAS are Glan, so I really don't wanna relay everything through my comp...

It is actually pretty easy.

[Tower]

path = /mnt/user

read only = No

Joe L.

Very nice, tried it and love it ;-)

Joe, your instructions worked fine and I am very happy with it - this enables me to assign one Unraid Server to a single Driveletter in Windows.

One question left: If I use this Mapping in windows:

- Will it use the usershares with all it's rules if I copy something to it?

- Will it properly change the file- & directorystructure if I rename or move things within this mapping?

e.g.: Moving files or directories from one usershare to another usershare - will it update all disks and their filesystems properly?

thanks and regards,

Guzzi