Windows 10 and SMB workaround still required for build 10130

tr0910

Windows users will be annoyed with connecting from Win 10 to their unRaiid box.  This is still an issue with 6bRC3 and the latest Win 10 build 10130.

Quote from: newskin on January 24, 2015, 08:00:27 AM

Had this problem too - it's because Win10 insists on an authenticated SMB login. You can disable it by creating the following value (a DWORD):

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\AllowInsecureGuestAuth

Set the value to 1 , it should work straight away then.

Here is the workaround, but registry hacks are not for the masses.  Is this going to be an ongoing frustration with Win10 and unRaid?

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37835.30

I just tried connecting to 6brc3 with 10130 and now it works.  Without any registry hacks.  Maybe false alarm??

Anybody else still having issues connecting to their unRaid from Win 10??

Tower still doesn't come up in the list of network devices, but going to \\tower works from file explorer.

EDIT: And just like all versions of Windows before it, finally it shows up in the network devices list, much much later

My Win 10 build 10130 is a workstation, not a kvm vm.  It updated from 10074 to 10130 when I told it to go with the very frequent update process.  By default, it didn't want to update from 10074 at all.

I plan on making a vm with Win10 soon.

Just did the update on a VMware Workstation virtual machine, and it worked just fine.

It can also access UnRAID with no problem ...  HOWEVER => I had added the  "AllowInsecureGuestAuth" key to a previous build, and just confirmed that it's STILL THERE on this build.

... so it survives the update process.

So it's not a "... false alarm"  that you need that key to access UnRAID.    You simply don't need to add it again if you've already done it, as the update to a new build will not remove it.

... Decided to absolutely confirm the need for that key, so I deleted it from the registry; rebooted; and sure enough, you can no longer access UnRAID.

Added it back, and all's well  :)

So, as I just noted above, it's definitely NOT a "false alarm" ==> you DO need that key.    But if you've already added it to the registry, subsequent build updates don't need any further action.

Very interesting.  I wouldn't think the underlying "PC" (whether real or virtual) would impact that.

Are you running the same version of UnRAID that you were when you tried Build 10074?    SOMETHING has clearly changed in the networking properties between the two machines.

Archived