Does using a docker image require the disk to be always spinning?

squarefrog

Sorry if this has been asked before.

If I have a docker container on a User Share, does running the image require the disk(s) involved to be always spinning while the application is running?

Do you mean the application data that a specific docker container uses? Many dockers will need to constantly read and write this data, so if the User Share is on the array then not only will that disk spin from the read/writes, but parity will also spin when it writes.

This is why many people put this in a cache-only User Share.

Do you mean the application data that a specific docker container uses? Many dockers will need to constantly read and write this data, so if the User Share is on the array then not only will that disk spin from the read/writes, but parity will also spin when it writes.

This is why many people put this in a cache-only User Share.

This answers my question. I wondered if it loaded then ran from memory, but what you say does makes sense. I just didn't really want to put a cache drive in purely for Docker use. I'm due to move soon so will have to use Powerlines so not a lot of point in speedy writes and losing a drive bay.

Another question I have is does the virtualisation require a lot of CPU grunt? I have an HP N40L which is fairly common, but low end. I see myself using sparklyballs headless kodi, and possibly a SQL docker.

Archived