Help Diagnosing Unclean Shutdown

archedraft

I would seem that something is causing my system to have an unclean shutdown whenever my UPS is triggered due to a power outage. Whenever I start my server again Parity always starts to run. This as happened 3 times of the last week (due to power outages). That said, I can type powerdown -r into SSH and it will reboot just fine. My question, is there a way to determine why my UPS is not shutting down the system properly? I have the powerdown plugin installed but I didn't get a syslog downloaded to my flash drive when the power went out.

My suspicion is one of my virtual machines is failing to stop when the UPS tries to shutdown the server.

Questions:

1. Is there any way to see what is happening to my server as the UPS shutdowns my server?

2. Assuming my suspicion is correct, is there way to force shutdown a VM?

3. Probably the best solution would be to get the VM to shutdown properly. Is there a command I could send to the VM to shutdown correctly?

virsh shutdown OSX-Yosemite-10.10-ATI

does not shutdown the VM...

My suspicion is one of my virtual machines is failing to stop when the UPS tries to shutdown the server.

Questions:

1. Is there any way to see what is happening to my server as the UPS shutdowns my server?

3. Probably the best solution would be to get the VM to shutdown properly. Is there a command I could send to the VM to shutdown correctly?

Blind leading the blind here, but shouldn't the VM be suspended to disk instead of being forced to shut down? That way when the array comes back the VM could just be resumed.

My virtualbox setup does exactly that, any running VM's are suspended to disk, and resumed when the array is restarted.

Blind leading the blind here, but shouldn't the VM be suspended to disk instead of being forced to shut down? That way when the array comes back the VM could just be resumed.

My virtualbox setup does exactly that, any running VM's are suspended to disk, and resumed when the array is restarted.

I "think" that when unRAID is shutdown it is set so that libvirt shutdowns all the VM's...

I "think" that when unRAID is shutdown it is set so that libvirt shutdowns all the VM's...

Hmm. I don't like that at all. I'll have to see if that can be changed somehow.

I would seem that something is causing my system to have an unclean shutdown whenever my UPS is triggered due to a power outage. Whenever I start my server again Parity always starts to run. This as happened 3 times of the last week (due to power outages). That said, I can type powerdown -r into SSH and it will reboot just fine. My question, is there a way to determine why my UPS is not shutting down the system properly? I have the powerdown plugin installed but I didn't get a syslog downloaded to my flash drive when the power went out.

Questions:

Anyone have any ideas? I did try a bunch of things yesterday with the VM to try and address item 3 above but nothing fixed the shutdown issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Well still haven't figured out a way to get unRAID to shutdown my OS X VM from the unRAID KVM GUI. I am guessing OS X doesn't understand the KVM ACPI commands it is being sent?? If anyone happens to have any brilliant insights on how the KVM ACPI commands are sent and helping an OS understand them, that would be appreciated. I'll report back if I ever get this solved but for now "it is what it is"

Archived