[SOLVED] Network and USB issues after upgrading to unRAID6

Peanutman85

I have been running unRAID for a couple years now.  However, when I just tried to upgrade to unRAID 6.0.0, i ran into some issues...

After it boots up, I no longer have a network connection.  Sometimes, when it boots up, i get "/dev/disk/by-label/UNRAID not found."  Also, sometimes, the USB keyboard does not work.  If I do not get that error, everything looks ok besides the lack of network connectivity.  When I run ifconfig, it looks like it detects the NIC, but I am unable to ping to or from the server. 

If I reboot the server, I get "Operating system not found."  When I plug the flash drive back into my Windows machine, it requires me to format the drive.  Therefore, I have been unable to get a syslog.

I have tried multiple flash drives and multiple USB ports and get the same result.

I went back and tested unRAID5, and everything worked perfectly.  If I boot into Xen with unRAID6 beta 14b, everything works great.  However, if I boot into unRAID6 beta14b without Xen, I run into the same issues as unRAID 6.0.0.

The computer has an MSI 970A-G46 motherboard which uses the Realtek 8111E NIC.  There are no other ethernet ports for me to use.

Does anyone know what may be causing this behavior?

I read that before I posted.  The only two issues listed are to change the BIOS boot settings or plug your network cable into another ethernet port, if you have more than one.

I only have one NIC and it is booting to the flash drive, so it doesn't seem like an issue with the boot settings.

It appears that i only get the  /dev/disk/by-label/UNRAID not found" error when I have the USB keyboard plugged in.  If I boot it up without the keyboard plugged in, it appears to boot normally.

Is there anything I should be looking for in the syslog?  I can't get a copy of it, since it is not connecting to the network and seems to be wiping the flash drive whenever I boot to it. 

I just tried copying the syslog to the flash drive, then unplugging the drive without shutting the server down.  When I plugged it into my Windows computer, it once again asked me to format the drive.  I tried using some recovery software to see if the files were still on the drive, but the only two files on it were ldlinux.sys and ldlinux.c32.

It looks like the only way I can get a copy of the log would be to view it on the screen and type it all out on another computer...

It appears that i only get the  /dev/disk/by-label/UNRAID not found" error when I have the USB keyboard plugged in.  If I boot it up without the keyboard plugged in, it appears to boot normally.

Is there anything I should be looking for in the syslog?  I can't get a copy of it, since it is not connecting to the network and seems to be wiping the flash drive whenever I boot to it. 

I just tried copying the syslog to the flash drive, then unplugging the drive without shutting the server down.  When I plugged it into my Windows computer, it once again asked me to format the drive.  I tried using some recovery software to see if the files were still on the drive, but the only two files on it were ldlinux.sys and ldlinux.c32.

It looks like the only way I can get a copy of the log would be to view it on the screen and type it all out on another computer...

When you boot without the Keyboard, you say, "it appears to boot normally."  Does that mean that the server is connected to the Network? 

Did you upgrade using the procedure in this upgrade WIKI? 

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

I did upgrade using that procedure and I also tested it with a clean install.  It was still not connecting to the network at that point, but I could at least access the flash drive.

I seem to have solved the issue, however, by updating to the latest BIOS for my motherboard.  ;D

Archived