Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

RAM is so cheap now-a-days, we don't give much thought to it (especially for low-intensity application like unRAID).  This Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 has quickly become my favorite unRAID/budget RAM, as it is so dang cheap, and quite reliable.  Plus, Newegg keeps putting it on sale!  I've seen it anywhere from $20 - $26, currently its on sale for $24.  Note that the Newegg picture is wrong, the RAM is half-height (not full height as shown), leaving plenty of room for large CPU coolers or just slightly better airflow to the CPU heatsink.  So if you are looking for a quick, easy RAM upgrade for your server, consider this.

Also, scope my Newegg review reppin' unRAID  ;)

I usually won't buy ram unless it's 4GB for under $30... I'd have a hard time only getting 2GB for $25 :/ but it seems to be very reliable and I like the lifetime warranty.

Long gone at this point (last deal was $15 in between thanksgiving/christmas)... but I've always been a HUGE fan of the Crucial ram that used to go on sale regularly from Frys. $10-20AR for 4GB of 6400 1.8v memory. I bought at least 6 sets of it at different points in time to different addresses and still currently have 3 sets and all 3 I have had for over a year. 2 of the sets have been used in servers that have practically been running 24/7 the entire time. 1 of them being my UnRaid build, the 2nd being my Server 08 torrent/encode box (currently down since I'm upgrading to a better quad). If that stuff pops up again I highly recommend it to all for any build.

Funny how experiences can differ... I have requested SO many RMA's from Crucial on their Ballistix DDR2-800 Cas4 ram that I've lost count - and tossed all of the many sticks in the trash... and before you get into the performance ram issues and increased Vdimm required, I was running all of this stuff per the Type1 Jedec SPD ratings: DDr2-667 at 1.8V stock.  Lately I've switched to PNY sticks and never looked back.

Those were the border line fraudulent Ballistix though... Crucial completely shafted customers after all the reviews were out not to mention a lot of them shipping from Micron D9 chips. They switched to a 3rd party chip shortly after all those reviews and major sales came in which lead to the onslaught of failures you see all over the place now. A lot of companies do this and it's really hard to avoid it. You were just one of the many that fell into the consumer trap :/.

The ram I was referring to has been consistently the same since I first began buying it. It's clear as day since there's no heatspreaders on the sticks or anything.