Suggestion for unRAID 6 manual entry - unRAID share - Mount Tag

I spent a good amount of time trying to find exactly what to add to the /etc/fstab file inside of my ubuntu VM to pass through the unRAID share to my VM. Could there possibly be a bit better explanation of what and how to use the "unRAID shares" and "unRAID mount Tag"? I found the answer to my question finally here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=35858.120  but there is very little mention in the actual manual in the VM section explaining this process. I finally added the correct line to my fstab file, and my share mounted perfectly inside the VM, and works great. I know there is a link in the manual to an explanation of 9p. However, it was not readily apparent that this had anything to do with mounting shares inside of a VM, and most users I think would have a hard time finding exactly what to do what they need. It would be nice for anyone in the future to have this information at hand, from the manual, and see the proper way to do it. Again, it's only a suggestion. It just would have helped make my life a LOT easier, and I hoped others could benefit form it.

I spent a good amount of time trying to find exactly what to add to the /etc/fstab file inside of my ubuntu VM to pass through the unRAID share to my VM. Could there possibly be a bit better explanation of what and how to use the "unRAID shares" and "unRAID mount Tag"? I found the answer to my question finally here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=35858.120  but there is very little mention in the actual manual in the VM section explaining this process. I finally added the correct line to my fstab file, and my share mounted perfectly inside the VM, and works great. I know there is a link in the manual to an explanation of 9p. However, it was not readily apparent that this had anything to do with mounting shares inside of a VM, and most users I think would have a hard time finding exactly what to do what they need. It would be nice for anyone in the future to have this information at hand, from the manual, and see the proper way to do it. Again, it's only a suggestion. It just would have helped make my life a LOT easier, and I hoped others could benefit form it.

We linked to the VirtFS 9p wiki from ours for this configuration.  Can I ask what this gained you as opposed to just using SMB or NFS to communicate from your guest to your host?

Well jon, to be completely honest, I'm not entirely sure. I figured since the lines were included in the actual creation of the VM, that it was somehow preferable to mount a share in this way rather than over the network. Are there actually no kinds of speed gains or otherwise by using this method as opposed to Samba or NFS?

Well jon, to be completely honest, I'm not entirely sure. I figured since the lines were included in the actual creation of the VM, that it was somehow preferable to mount a share in this way rather than over the network. Are there actually no kinds of speed gains or otherwise by using this method as opposed to Samba or NFS?

No, in fact, speed can be worse through VirtFS compared to SMB.  The primary benefit of 9p is for ease of access to the host filesystem and our ability to mount it very early in the VM boot process.  The #1 example I can give will be our soon-to-be-released OpenELEC VM where we use a 9p mount inside the vdisk to the host to store appdata, similar to how docker containers work.  In this instance, performance isn't a concern because of the relative size of appdata.

I would encourage folks to use SMB/NFS mappings inside their VM at this point just because 9p is a bit trickier to use.  We added it in the VM manager because we thought it would be more valuable, but in hindsight, we probably should have left it out of the manager itself, and just used it in a more transparent fashion with VMs we preconfigure.

I've just thrown up a VM with Ubuntu and installed Crashplan. Now I want to access my unraid shares, but the template that I filled out correctly isn't mounting the share/disk in the VM. Crashplan does not allow network shares, so I have to mount it somehow within the VM to back it up. Why not use the Docker? Because I don't have time every time there is an update to update the client manually myself and I don't want to use my Windows Crashplan client because it is being used already for that machine.

to my understanding, that's pretty much all you can do. Some type of network mount. I had to add a line in fstab inside my VM, and mount it using 9p.

Yep, I remembered! I used the help area and went to the link that was in the help area. I'm making headway. I see the shares in the MNT folder but there may be a timing issue when it reboots. Just looking into that.

you should be editing fstab instead of issuing a mount command.

I'm passed all that. Entry is in fstab file and should automount. Checking out logs to see where it is dropping off/out. Once I run the command manually they show up so I'm close. Getting there.

Can you post your fstab entry so I can take a look?

I found the problem. I was editing my fstab with the default login (which was not root) and it was never saving my updated/changed settings I made prior. Once I made all the corrections, did a couple reboots and all show up. Exclusively using this VM for Crashplan so I don't need two dockers and have to wait for updates for the client to work. Code42 really updates their engine/client all the time. At least with the VM it will now happen automatically.